Question about water consumption...should I be concerned?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about water consumption...should I be concerned?

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about water consumption...should I be concerned?

Hi all!
    With the warm weather upon us I am giving more thought to Guthrie's drinking habit....which is pretty much non existent. He has never been much of a water drinker and about a year ago I even switched to bottled water thinking it might have been the smell of our well water to blame. It might have helped a little but he still will only drink a little after he eats in the morning and at night.

Recently we have been training for some upcoming hunt tests. After several difficult retrieves yesterday he appeared overheated and I really wanted him to drink something but he refused. He did pull me to the nearest mud puddle and laid down and ran his nose and mouth through the water but did not drink.

I purchased some Gatoraid on the way home and he did drink a small amount of that but refused to drink any more the rest of the night. This morning he did not drink...I ended up putting water on his food as I knew were were going to have a long day outside in the sun. All the other dogs consume huge amounts of water when we are out training.

He acts perfectly fine other than this quirk.

I am planning on calling the vet just to ask but am curious if anyone has ever heard of a dog like this and if you have ever heard of a medical condition causing lack of thirst.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Good question my dog I have now drinks far less than my previous lab.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Is your dog simply efficient as in he wastes no energy? Does he walk when he can run? Does he rest when he can go around sniffing?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Abby does not drink as much water as Kate. I worry sometimes after training or hunt tests, when it is hot, she should drink more. She never has been a big water drinker. I know there are several conditions that can cause increased thirst & drinking, but I have never heard of not drinking enough. You will have to let me know.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java is like this...she seems to drink very little water.
    Moka drinks it by the gallon.

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

Chief is basically the same way. There are a number of times he wont drink much water at all. He usually drinks some right after eating, but during the day he doesnt drink too much. Yesterday when outside at my brothers place, he seemed bothered by the heat and humidity, as his tongue was hanging to the side and he was breathing heavily. I have trained him somewhat to drink water and will say "go get your water" and sometimes he will, but when he doesnt, I like giving him ice cubes. At least thats a little bit of water consumption and he loves chewing them too.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

hark67 is offline Senior Member

slackercodemonkey
    Is your dog simply efficient as in he wastes no energy? Does he walk when he can run? Does he rest when he can go around sniffing?
    You have him pegged. He definitely is either "off" or "on". This makes me feel so much better. I never worried about it until this past training session when I felt he was really over heating and he refused to drink anything. The other dogs we train with are mostly field bred and really "On" all the time. I am just going to be better prepared with other options to cool him down.

Someone had suggested keeping rubbing alcohol in the car to rub on his armpits if he is overheating. also going to put together a frozen bottle/fan contraption on the crate.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Has anyone had any luck with cooling crate pads?
    Last edited by hark67; 05-29-2012 at 11:36 PM.

bett is offline Senior Member

what food do you feed?
    wet food is loaded with water.
    just wondering.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel is the same & I was also concerned so I asked our vet. He said as long as Diesel has free access to water, he will drink when thirsty. Is he urinating normally? Check the colour of his urine - if it is dark then you may want to get him better hydrated, otherwise he should be just fine. And as Bett suggested, he could be getting extra moisture depending on the type of food you give him.

Though it still bothers me!! So when it's super hot & he won't drink though I feel he should I give him ice cubes as he will eat those & at least he is getting some cooling with a little hydration.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Megan, this is what we use for the Expedition to keep the girls cool. We have a coolong shade to put over the vehicle, we have two big Ryobi fans and we bought two cooling pad things made by Frogg Togs. If you are going to Leatherstocking this weekend, I can show you what we have. It has kept them really cool in the heat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast