Car harness/restraint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car harness/restraint

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultCar harness/restraint

Now that Chief is 100 lbs I have been placing him in the backseat of my car when going places. He does very well and mostly sits right in the middle looking ahead out the windshield, as if he's being a backseat driver lol. He will sometimes lay down too, but I wanted to ask everyone your opinion on a good and simple car harness/tether/restraint that you use? I would like to get one that is super easy and simple to attach and detach as needed. Also, the first few times you have used one, how did your dog react? Was he uncooperative or did he stay calm and let you put it on? Im also curious to know when having one of these on him in the backseat, would he still be able to lay down if needed, or once its connected, he has to sit only and stay in that position? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I use "Kurgo" brand restraints for my guys. They are harnesses, with a padded chest plate, the ring is on the back of the harness and there is a loop type tether that attaches to the harness and hooks to the seat belt. I have always used them so I have never encountered an issue with them not liking them. They were not super expensive, I think I have every size they make to accomodate a growing puppy! Emma and Maxx can sit up and lay down and seem to be quite comfortable.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I have a similar one to Tammy's for Saba. Also with a padded chest plate and it hooks up to the seat belt, can't remember the brand name though. Saba can sit or lie down when buckled in. He knows when we put it on that we're going somewhere fun so usually he's pretty excited when I take it out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I use "Kurgo" brand restraints for my guys. They are harnesses, with a padded chest plate, the ring is on the back of the harness and there is a loop type tether that attaches to the harness and hooks to the seat belt. I have always used them so I have never encountered an issue with them not liking them. They were not super expensive, I think I have every size they make to accomodate a growing puppy! Emma and Maxx can sit up and lay down and seem to be quite comfortable.
    Thank you for the information. I just went onto amazon.com to price them and the "X-Large" in Red is only $28.73, which is good. I may get one very soon. My question though, is it difficult to attach and put on and about how long does it take to do that and to adjust the straps so it fits him snug? Im hoping its not going to take me 4-5 minutes to attach it each time. Thanks alot.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

The harness you adjust to fit and put on before you even get out the door and the tether that loops through the seatbelt only has one hook. It takes maybe a minute, tops, because you have adjusted the harness in advance and there should be no reason to have to re-adjust. If you want to take the harness off when you get where you are going it shouldn't take but a minute to put it back on before putting your dog back in the car. It is very simple and easy to use. I hope you like it as much as I do!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 05-27-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

The first time it takes maybe 5 minutes to adjust it. After that it's less than a minute. Cinder gets super excited when I take it out because she knows it means a road trip. I put it on her by the door and it's only one clip in the car so it's fast and easy. She's able to sit and lay wearing it and can move easily to get comfy.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio and Kaity each have one and it is a must have. It makes my drive so much safer since I know that if in an accident, the pups and I will be kept put. They can lay down, sit, put their head on the centre console... I say that every dog owner should use one!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I've tried several different ones and the dog has had no problems with any of them.
    Currently I'm using this one: http://www.amazon.com/Ruff-Riders-Ve...8170522&sr=8-3
    It can be attached with the seat belt or a tether and the dog can sit or lie down. I agree with the others, it just seems much safer to me to have the dog restrained in some way.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

I have one for my pup (he is only 4 months old) but they com for larger dongs too. Got it at petsmart and I love it.
    Top Paw&#153 Pet Safety Car Harness - Geared for Pet Travel - Featured Products - PetSmart
    It is extremely easy to put on and take off and hook the seat belt through.
    Last edited by Lilprincee; 05-27-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: more info

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am a bit lazy and only use the harness on the motorway. Around home I use an attachment that fits into the seat belt.
    My harness is the one with padded front too.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast