Is this even possible?

Thread: Is this even possible?

sclabmom is offline Member

DefaultIs this even possible?

Yesterday evening we took the dogs out to the lake. I tossed in our dogs bumpers and both my adult lab Buck and the little girl Baby jumped right in. Buck always returns to hand,even though its a little sloppy he does it. The little girl came running right back with him and sat at my feet holding her bumper in her mouth. Next time I tossed I put them both in a sit and I use the command wait. Tossed the bumpers and she did the same thing along with my big guy. Is it even possible that she's picking this up from him? This is the first time we've went to the lake with her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Have you done retrieving on land? If this is her first experience retrieving, I'd say it's more instinct. Caleb did the same thing when he was a youngster (no other dog here for him to learn from). Unfortunately, I didn't keep up with it, and now really need to re-teach retrieving to him.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Even if it is instinct I think it is awesome to watch when you see them do it for the 1st time!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We played fetch just a little but she would run and chase it but she didn't seem remotely interested in bringing it back or even picking it up. It was really cool I must say.People were watching them and so I was really proud,even though my bigger dogs return to hand is sloppy if someone didn't know it looked cool. LOL

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Even if it is instinct I think it is awesome to watch when you see them do it for the 1st time!
    Absolutely! It's like watching our human babies take their first steps.

Sara is offline Senior Member
    The deep north woods in a constant state of confusion

Monkey see, monkey do... Isn't that what they say? I'm sure it's a combination of both instinct and observation.
    In any event, good job! Labs with ball patience is not something I have here.

If I put Cash into a sit/wait while I throw the ball, he will go for it the second I raise my arm to throw.
    And, if I hold him by the collar or on leash, he 'chatters' and whines until released. It's actually a sight to see. lol

That'll do, Chief. That'll do.
    "There is no cure for birth and death
    save to enjoy the interval."
    ~George Santayana

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Not possible but probable. It is so much easier to train puppies when there is an older dog in the family to show them how.

I didn't think she would really be picking up that much from watching another dog.

MaryB is offline Junior Member

I wouldn't underestimate what an old dog can teach a young one, especially when it has to do with such an ingrained trait.