HK and Newman head for the DP, and Zoe is there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK and Newman head for the DP, and Zoe is there.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHK and Newman head for the DP, and Zoe is there.

Well good news and bad news. Kind of upset this morning and will have to figure out if time will heal or if I can help her through it somehow. Suggestions welcome.

We went off to the DP this morning, pulled into the parking lot and saw a car I would have preferred not be there. Zoe was in the park. HK was really upset with me when I wouldn't let her get out of the car with me. I got out to survey what I could see. Yep! The lady and Zoe were there, but Zoe was on lead. Her second Husky was off-lead. The second dog was not any problem historically and I guess is part of the motivation for her to continue coming to the park.

I decided to give it a shot. First I made sure I had the park police number in my iPhone. HK and Newman were let out of the car and into the park. That was the first indicator that HK was affected more than I anticipated. She usually starts bouncing around immediately for me to Chuck a ball. Today she took a look into the first open field, and went immediately back to the gate, now closed, and sat there. I asked her if she was 'Ready!', usually just makes the bounces higher and starts to run out in anticipation. Just sat there.

Zoe was in a position that I could throw the ball where HK would not get anywhere near her, and I did. HK took off after the ball. Rather than bringing it back to me, she went straight to the gate and sat there with it in her mouth. No drop. I was getting even more upset. As I worked with her a little more, she loosened up a bit and seemed liked she forgot about Zoe. If that was even the issue. BobPr, I need your help.

After about a half hour, I convinced myself it was history and HK was fine. A little later, The lady was working her way toward the exit. It got her maybe 50 feet from us. I didn't notice the approach, I could have worked my way to another field. Hershey spotted her first, ears and tail went down. She came over to me, sat against my leg and looked around my leg at Zoe.

The lady called over to me that Zoe was on lead and she had control. I acknowledged and thanked her, adding that HK is still not too comfortable seeing her but we would all work on it.

When Zoe left, HK switched back to her totally normal self.

I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to help HK over what appears to be an obvious fear of Zoe. I don't want them to become friends, just have Hershey learn she is capable of avoiding her and still have fun at the park.

Typing this, I realize there is one thing I can do. Retirement has its advantages. We have been going to the park at 8. Apparently that is when Zoe's Mom takes her. Look like the morning DP schedule is being moved to 10.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

I hope you can work it out so that HK can have her fun time back. Bless that baby's heart. :-(

greg is offline Senior Member

i cant believe that she has already been back to the park. changeing the time that you go to the park probably would be best.at least for a few days.that may give HK time to get over it.you would think that she would at least put a muzzle on zoe.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    i cant believe that she has already been back to the park. changeing the time that you go to the park probably would be best.at least for a few days.that may give HK time to get over it.you would think that she would at least put a muzzle on zoe.
    That is a great idea. I don't believe that I hadn't thought of it. Zoe could get her freedom at the park back, and no one would be in danger. Not even Zoe.

I am going to switch my times for a while, but I am going to get one of the other early folks to suggest this to her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Oh Ed, my heart broke for her reading this. Poor baby girl was scared. My first thought was that she remembers getting hurt at the DP the last time, and not necessarily the particular dog. Until you said she cowered when she saw Zoe. Poor thing.

I think you have the perfect solution by taking her at a later time.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

dweck is offline Senior Member

I dunno... I think I'd take her at EXACTLY the time you know Zoe will be there and a) POLICE Zoe-dummy-mom for leash use; and b) desensitize HK against the fear.

Should ZDM show up without a leash, even one time, I'd remind her w/a cattle prod.

Otherwise, just keep gaining and re-gaining HK's attention *away* from Zoe and the trauma should fade.

Wesley has not been back to our obed class since getting attacked by Reese the Dobe, but as soon as he's medically cleared, I intend to march right back over there and ensure that he knows he did nothing wrong and that the fault was COMPLETELY Reese's/Reese's mom.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post
    I dunno... I think I'd take her at EXACTLY the time you know Zoe will be there and a) POLICE Zoe-dummy-mom for leash use; and b) desensitize HK against the fear.

Should ZDM show up without a leash, even one time, I'd remind her w/a cattle prod.

Otherwise, just keep gaining and re-gaining HK's attention *away* from Zoe and the trauma should fade.
    I agree. While HK does need to be protected, which you are doing beautifully, she also needs to relearn she doesn't have to have that fear. It's like falling off a bike -- you've gotta get back on right away or the fear of falling off will hurt you more than the fall did.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If it was me, I'd go at 10 for awhile (say a week) so that HK separates the DP from the incident with Zoe.

WHEN HK's had that experience, then I think you can try it at your usual time, first making sure that Zoe is always under full control.

But I'm kind of uneasy about Zoe being there on leash. Large size dogs like Zoe have been known to bolt and yank their leash out of their owner's hand. Why does Zoe need to be there at all if she remains leashed? Won't that build up frustration in Zoe?

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Everyone has good points, but I am glad that Bob kind of goes along with my plan. He has my respect with regard to how a brain might work anyway. Definitely not my field of expertise.

I think she continues at the DP because of her other dog. I don't know. If Zoe was mine, I would have her on an eCollar. She would be watched constantly and corrected as necessary. If it didn't work, I guess the park would just be off the agenda.

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    I think she continues at the DP because of her other dog.
    I think it's ridiculous that she continues to take this dog to the dog park, leash or no leash. Her other dog doesn't have to give up his/her time at the park - just leave Zoe at home!

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast