One dog in the hood sets Diesel off - no idea how to fix

Thread: One dog in the hood sets Diesel off - no idea how to fix

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionOne dog in the hood sets Diesel off - no idea how to fix

This dog - looks like a Border Collie X Husky - lives 3 doors down. Diesel is very submissive & never one to instigate a bark-out, and this BCH went nuts the first time he saw Diesel. He seemed fine then just as we were passing he lunged barking, snarling & snapping, I had to yank Diesel back to avoid the BCH taking a chunk out of him.

So I do my best to avoid this dog like the plague. If I see him go by our house on his walk, I wait a good half hour for him to get back home then I take Diesel for our walk. If we are out on our walk & I see them coming before Diesel does, I stop D beside a parked car in a sit/stay until they pass & pray he doesn't see him.

Tonight they crossed paths (it's been a good two months) & the BCH went crazy as soon as he saw Diesel - who hadn't seen him yet - then D went BALLISTIC! On his hind legs choking himself with the collar, barking like mad, yanking me into the road. It was SO embarassing! Nothing worked - distraction, treats, verbal commands, never mind jerking the lead or trying to go a different direction since it was already taut from him pulling & man he almost had me on my ass trying to hang onto him.

After the BCH was around the corner Diesel was acting like a brat biting the leash, not listening - for which I did the stop/turn, put him in a sit/stay, ignored him, etc & about 5 very long minutes later he was okay.

This is the only dog in our hood that gets him so upset, I am wondering if it is because he's trying to stand his ground with the other dog since the BCH went after him first that time? He does bark & try to pull towards other dogs, but I can always correct him & get him to stop by getting his attention, stop/turn, sit/stay, etc. But with this BCH I could be holding a pound of bacon over D's head & he wouldn't notice.

Other than trying to avoid this dog, tricking Diesel to sit/stay beside a parked car, I have no idea what else to do. Any tricks or ideas how to get him to stay calm when this dog that seems to set him off crosses our path?

And anyone else have this problem? One dog that sets yours off bad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

tank is like this to every dog so I know your pain. Anymore if he sees a dog before me I just grab him and pull him the other way. It might be through peoples yard but IDC, I am related to half the people in the town I live in anyway,lol. Then once I get far enough away I calm him down and head back. There is also a lot of ally's in the town I live in and I use them a lot. I dont know if that is an option where you live or not or if it is safe to walk down ally's where you live but if so I would do that since most dog owners don't(well where I live anyway). Sorry I am really no help since I have this same problem!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Np Deidra! I could not imagine having this happen with every dog - that must be so exhausting! There aren't any alleyways around here I can take him through & everyone's yard is fenced. If I see the BCH before Diesel does or before the BCH sees Diesel I swing around & go the other way, it just didn't work out that way tonight

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bump Anyone?

Samson is offline Senior Member

Jasper had the same problem with a Golden that we used to meet ! After a few months of aggro, the pups met off leash and within a few weeks got to ignore each other ! They will now greet each other enthusiastically but without rancour. Would it be possible to arrange an off leash play date ? Leash aggression could be the reason ?

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I would agree with Samson -- I find that many dogs react differently while on leash. As soon as they are off leash, they go into proper dog mode and sniff each other out and either become disinterested or engage in play. However, I have only witnessed this at my off-leash dog park and find that many owners that come in with new dogs and keep them on leash have a heck of a time trying to control their dog. As soon as they give in and let their dogs go, the dogs act completely different.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Maybe dogs are like people some just don't like others for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Jasper had the same problem with a Golden that we used to meet ! After a few months of aggro, the pups met off leash and within a few weeks got to ignore each other ! They will now greet each other enthusiastically but without rancour. Would it be possible to arrange an off leash play date ? Leash aggression could be the reason ?
    Thanks, Colin, you could be right! I'll see if they're around this weekend & game to try. I'll still exercise a bit of caution if it goes beyond bitey face & the BCH exerting "normal" control. I've never seen him lunge or bark at other dogs so Shel could be right - maybe they just don't like each other?! Either way it's always good to get ideas from others since I was stumped. If not this BCH it could be another dog in another hood someday.