Wormer question

Thread: Wormer question

hemphill4 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWormer question

Kobe is 8 weeks old - yes he was young when I got him but there was no other option. Anyway.... The lady I got him from had her vet come and give both shots and wormers and they even gave me a shot record to keep up with everything. The vet told me that I could do the wormer myself at home and the 7 in 1 shots at home until he turned 16 weeks at which point I would need to go to the vet to start heat prevention and get the rabies shot. Have any of you done this at home vs taking them to the vet.

It seems like a lot of dosages to me - Any help would be greatly appreciated as Kobe needs his wormer today.

If you have done this - what brand did you use and what schedule did you follow. It seems that every other week has has wormer and the week that he doesn't have wormer he has the 7in1 shot.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

When Sophie was about 8 or 9 weeks, I went to the vet and got a puppy wormer. It was a banana flavored stuff they suck out of a tube. It doesn't take care of round worms, so at 4 months she got another wormer that does. We didn't have to take her in to the vet, they just sold it over the counter. We gave Sophie's shots at home until she was 4 months and needed her rabies shot. At that vet visit, she got the wormer pill, a rabies shot and a 4th parvo along with lipto shot. Lipto lives in water and you know how our labbys love water! Good luck.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not give a 7 in 1 shot - that is a significant assault on a puppy's system. I would also not ever vaccinate my own dog, but experienced people (many dogs or breeders) do that without issue. I know someone who lost his beloved dog due to an incorrect vaccine dosage.

You also should consider whether or not your puppy really needs all those vaccines. Parvo and Distemper and maybe Adenovirus - yes. But Corona? Bordatella? Lepto? Parainfluenza? Maybe if those things are prevalent in your area or your puppy is being boarded some of those make sense - but it should be your informed decision.

What is "heat prevention"? Never heard of this.

From this article -

Titers Join Debate on Vaccine Frequency

“When vaccines are needed, they shouldn’t be given at the same site or at the same exam. Banfield Animal Health released two papers on this topic saying animals weighing less than 20 pounds and receiving combo vaccines are at the highest risk of vaccine reaction, yet few DVMs arrange separate visits as a precaution
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 05-18-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We have lepto here. Even sea lions at the coast died from it. The trouble is, lepto vaccines are short lasting. About 8 months at the most. We give our own shots, or rather my husband does, but he is a retired VA nurse. The vaccines come pre-packaged and you mix two bottles together. The amounts are already measured for you.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye