Good Exercise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Exercise

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

DefaultGood Exercise

So today I decided to take Diesel swimming. A co-worker of mine, who is also a friend and pheasant hunting partner, has a pond on his family's land, about 1 1/2 miles from my place. So I grabbed the Dokken and loaded Dees up in the truck. He had a great time fetching and swimming. It was pretty windy, so there was some fairly heavy chop on the water. Which was actually good, because he had to work a bit harder swimming after the Dokken. Like I said, good exercise for the little man. After some fetching, I put the Dokken up and we walked down to the north end of the pond. I had a hell of time getting him to leave it alone and come with me. When it comes to fetching, he gets so into it that you can't hardly get him to stop. When we got down to that end of the pond, he finally saw the 14 Canadian geese that were there. After a bit, he decided to swim out and try for one. They fluttered further out into the pond, and I called him back. Good boy! That's the idea! Get them birds!

After we were back in the truck and driving around the pond to leave, I realized that once again I had been an idiot and didn't think to grab the camera when we left. Or my goose calls. D'oh! Next time, I guess.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good day. We really need some pictures of your boy.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

^^^ Yes we do! Sounds like you all had a great time!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like fun!! It's nice to have somewhere close to swim. We have a pond at the back of our property and lots of other places for Bauer to swim. Great exercise and it's fun to watch.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Watson is offline Member

we're having trouble getting Watson into water, he's paddled a bit in the shallows along the canal but is really not happy about taking the plunge, even when there's been another dog diving straight in! Unfortunately we have to out to the parks woods for a swimming lesson.

I'm very loathe to do what I saw on the dog whisperer programme and throw him in the water, a previous dog of mine fell in a river once when the bank she was stood on collapsed under her and she'd never go near running water again

Sometimes it takes a bit before they decide to go in. Some sooner than others. Diesel learned to swim in this pond, when he was maybe 10 weeks old.

I'll take him over again in the next couple days, and bring the camera this time.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by D Bros. View Post
    ...because he had to work a bit harder swimming after the Dokken....
    This was the point where I had to stop reading & google "dokken" because at first I thought you "grabbed the Dokken" as in a CD... you know, the heavy metal band? LOL Clearly I don't do these kinds of things with my Diesel

Sounds like a good day & yes, pics a must next time!!

Heh...I guess I never thought of that.

Diesel loves it. It's his favorite thing to fetch. I've got a pheasant trainer, and I'm going to get him a Canada goose one as well.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Watson - I would NEVER do as you saw on the Dog Whisperer show and just throw your dog in the water. His training methods are outdated and not always the best advice. He may just be a slow starter and will eventually learn to love the water or he may be one of the rarer labs that just don't care for swimming. Either way I am sure you will love him the same, not liking to swim is truly not the end of the world!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 05-19-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Watson - I would NEVER do as you saw on the Dog Whisperer show and just throw your dog in the water. His training methods are outdated and not always the best advice. He may just be a slow starter and will eventually learn to love the water or he may be one of the rarer labs that just don't care for swimming. Either way I am sure you will love him the same, not liking to swim is truly not the end of the world!
    Agree 100% You could injure your dog, or imprint such a fear in him he will never want to go into the water again, or even become distrustful of you. I sincerely hope you don't do this, it seems a tad barbaric. Patience is a better tool when training a dog than force.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast