Ball toys that are fun and safe for Labs?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ball toys that are fun and safe for Labs?

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultBall toys that are fun and safe for Labs?

Ive had Chief for nearly 2 years now since he was 9 weeks old and as we all know, Labs are infamous for chewing or destroying certain toys. Needless to say I cannot buy Chief anything that has stuffing or foam/fabric, as it wont last but an hour. I have also realized that as he reaches his full size and his 2nd birthday, his mouth is bigger and likes to get his mouth around ball toys, no matter if they are plastic, rubber, etc. His favorite toy is a popped old volleyball. Before he popped it, he had fun chasing it around but finally was able to get his teeth into it and carry it around and it slowly lost air. Yet, we still play with it all the time. My question is, what "Ball" toys have you all found effective in lasting and safe to play with? Even today while out walking, I found one of those oversize, big balloon type play balls and he started playing with it with his feet and nose, but then got his teeth into it somehow and it instantly popped. Even with something that big in size, doesnt seem to be safe with his teeth. I even bought him one of those old school red dodgeballs/kickballs because it is a little bigger than a volleyball, but also slick enough that I didnt expect him to get his teeth into it. Sure enough, almost instantly he did and it lost air too. There is a website I use periodically for toys and they have this one ball toy they claim is virtually indestructible, but I am a little hesitant and unsure if that would be the case with Chief. So am wondering those who have "ball" type toys, which have you found to be fun and last awhile with your lab? Here is a link to the ball toy from the website I frequent. Not sure if anyone else has purchased this or not. Thank you!

Dog Toys: Best Ball at Drs. Foster & Smith
    I would get the 10" largest size. Cannot tell from the description if it bounces much, or just rolls, as it says "hard, non-toxic polyethylene". Thinking it wont bounce though, which might be fun too for Chief.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer loves his Jolly Balls! He has 2 of of the Tug n' Toss balls: Puncture Resistant « Jollypets.com and 2 Teaser Balls: Hard Plastic « Jollypets.com

He plays with the Teaser Balls inside. He will roll them around the floor, and even holds them above his head with his paws when he lays on his back.

The Tug n' Toss balls he plays with outside. They are his favorite retrieving toys. They stay round even when they are punctured. I usually kick them for him to retrieve; they are still round, still bounce, and work like new even though they are full of tooth holes. One of the balls we have had for over 3 years, he has never worn one out even though they get TONS of use.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Paddy loved his bowling ball. Really. A real bowling ball. He'd nose it all around the shop floor and when the ball hit a slight incline, rolling away from Pad, he'd chase after it. Bowling ball. Yeah. Really. I still have it. Intact.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

The best ball yet is a ball we found at a park. It's a leather beach volleyball. I deflated it a bit so she can grab it. It does not puncture or have teeth marks, and she's had it for years. They are pricey brand new...

Lucked out, and we found 2 of them.

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom View Post
    The best ball yet is a ball we found at a park. It's a leather beach volleyball. I deflated it a bit so she can grab it. It does not puncture or have teeth marks, and she's had it for years.
    I know Zoe's ball! Excellent suggestion. Excellent!

Seamus and Flynn

Wow that is great info on the ball toys. I really do appreciate the info so much. I am going to check out the Tug N Toss and Teaser balls for sure. The volleyball sounds good too, but will try these other 2 first and go from there. Once again, appreciate the great, helpful info!
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    Bauer loves his Jolly Balls! He has 2 of of the Tug n' Toss balls: Puncture Resistant « Jollypets.com and 2 Teaser Balls: Hard Plastic « Jollypets.com

He plays with the Teaser Balls inside. He will roll them around the floor, and even holds them above his head with his paws when he lays on his back.

The Tug n' Toss balls he plays with outside. They are his favorite retrieving toys. They stay round even when they are punctured. I usually kick them for him to retrieve; they are still round, still bounce, and work like new even though they are full of tooth holes. One of the balls we have had for over 3 years, he has never worn one out even though they get TONS of use.
    I just checked out the site, but did not see any ordering info. I sent them a quick email, but I dont even see a listing of brick/mortar stores they may have also. How did you order these from them? Thanks again.

I did recently buy him a new volleyball, but took it away from him after a few hours, only because he had it in his mouth and his teeth got somewhat stuck on it and he couldnt release it from his jaw. I had to help him release it and I didnt want that to continue, so I still have a new volleyball. Have you noticed anything similar with the leather one you have?

Also, what size teaser and tug-n-toss balls did you get? The 8" or 10"?
    Last edited by SilverBullet; 05-17-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie manages to even destroy Kong toys. I emailed them today because I bought a toy that was made of tennis ball type stuff. The package advertised for big dogs and heavy duty. I paid 9 bucks for it and it was destroyed in under 5 minutes. I hope their customer service can offer some ideas. Sophie has an old football and an old basket ball that had been laying around here. We would toss the basketball in her pool and as soon as it went splat she was on it! She finally managed to get her teeth in it, but it didn't deflate all the way, just enough that she can tote it around. She played with her football for a long time before it needed to be tossed out.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    I did recently buy him a new volleyball, but took it away from him after a few hours, only because he had it in his mouth and his teeth got somewhat stuck on it and he couldnt release it from his jaw. I had to help him release it and I didnt want that to continue, so I still have a new volleyball. Have you noticed anything similar with the leather one you have?

Also, what size teaser and tug-n-toss balls did you get? The 8" or 10"?
    I know what you mean about getting stuck. This happens w/her other volleyballs, but *not* w/the leather one. It's wonderful! And the best thing is no teeth mark whatsoever!
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast