Just Labradors banner

Things happen for a reason I guess.

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  BauersMom 
#1 ·
So I said I wasn't in a hurry for a lab pup and now I know why. We have brought a beautiful 12wk old girly into our lives. She was purchased during a local event where they showcase all types of hunting and fishing stuff. One duck hunting plantation place had a pup that they raffled off,the person won her and she was to much for their 3lb chihauhua and so they told someone that works with my husband about her and that person told my husband because they knew we were looking so for the cost of her vet visit and 2 heartworm preventative treatments she is home with us. She was at the vet today and she turned 12wks yesterday and weighs 27.2 lbs,she had been living in a crate most of the last 3 weeks so she gained to much weight,the vet said to make sure to give her plenty of exercise and watch what she eats.

#2 ·
Congrats....but I have to say, this is exactly WHY people shouldn't raffle dogs off for a "charity Auction".

#5 ·
yeah I had actually saw the pup while they were having the event. Its a huge event at the state fairgrounds, I'm not sure how the raffle thing goes but they didn't mention it was for a charity so I think they probably just kept the $$. But I do agree this pup was won,they probably didn't take into consideration they had a small dog and how life would be. They won the pup for $5 which would be a heck of a deal for someone who really wanted a lab. I'm happy we got her though,and she is very very smart, I can tell she is going to be one that will get bored and try and entertain herself if I let her and that could end badly.

#9 ·
She a beauty! I just can't imagine raffling off a puppy. I am glad you got her. A good rule of thumb for lab puppy weight is 2 lbs per week. I think now that she is not kept in a crate all the time, the exercise will bring her weight down.

#11 ·
I was concerned with her weight because she seemed so heavy for such a young pup. I took her off of Purina Dog chow and put her on Blackwoods which my dogs like since I stopped with Taste of the Wild. She is doing really good in the house and hasn't had 1 accident yet,and she is only in her crate when I can't watch her,at night or when we're gone though she does go in there to relax. She is a very avid chewer though so I am buying toys left and right. I'm looking for one of those treat cubes or something to help keep her entertained. I found a ball one but it was really squishy and I knew she would destroy it instead of play. Yes I agree that people shouldn't raffle off animals,but I'm sure glad they did because had this person not won she wouldn't be here with us. She has learned sit already and she does walk on the leash well.

#13 ·
During this event all kinds of things are raffled off by different places,hunting trips,vacations,fishing trips,food,services and you may see a puppy or 2 but not every year. This year there was her and then somewhere else had this very ulgy Golden that they were calling some huge champion lines but it was ulgy its coat was fuzzy and had a weird texture,and its face looked like it had collie in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.