Have you ever taken your dog's temp?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever taken your dog's temp?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultHave you ever taken your dog's temp?

I just did.

Or should I say, ACK!

I bought one of those digital baby thermometers a couple of years ago. The dog sitter has been saying Angus feels warm to her. He doesn't to me, and he seems to feel fine (other than the feet stuff going on), but I took it anyway because, hey, that's what I bought a digital baby thermometer for.

Anyway, his reading was 100.2. Here is my question: I was reading about taking temperatures in the Dog Owner's Home Vet Manual, and it says to insert the thermometer 1-3 inches, depending on the size of the dog. This is a baby thermometer, so it only goes in about an inch. Do you think that would give me an inaccurate reading?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Dunno about the depth part of your question, Connie, but I had to take Hen's for the first time over the weekend. Vic said he was glad he got the head end (he was baiting him with string cheese) and I had the biznass end. lol.

I have a baby digital thermometer too, and just put it in about an inch. I think the 1-3 inches is for the old fashioned glass ones??

Wow, that's a coincidence that we both did this around the same time. What were you taking Hen's temp for?

I got stuck with the business end too. What's up with that??

Did it seem to you like you got a pretty accurate reading? I think they were talking about the glass thermometers too. I really can't see Angus being still for three minutes. 100.2 was definitely normal, or low side of normal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

LOL! I took Hen's because he has been doing this funny little gag thing, not a cough, just a single (or two) gag, like he's got something stuck in his throat. I thought it might be KC. Hen's was 38C (100.4F) which is low-normal, I guess. I wasn't sure if I got an accurate reading, but when we were at the vet on Sat morning, it was the same, so I guess my thermometer is working. lol.

labby is offline Senior Member

I just use a regular adult digital and put it in to where it gets wider. If it's not in far enough you won't get an accurate reading.

Last edited by labby; 11-24-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Laura

Thank you, thank you! This is just the info I needed! I was thinking about taking the thermometer in to the vet to test for accuracy too, but now I don't think I need to.

Angus does that gag thing sometimes too. Sometimes when he's just lying around, he'll randomly gag. Often after he's drunk a lot of water he'll do it.

Does Henry reverse sneeze too?

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I just use a regular adult digital and put it in to where it gets wider. If it's not in far enough you won't get an accurate reading.
    Thank you! I was hoping you'd see this and reply. I knew you'd know. That makes sense that it wouldn't read accurately if it wasn't far enough in.

Wait...do you mean that mine (ours, mine and Felicia's) might not have been far enough in? Or did you mean that the thermometer wouldn't give a reading at all if it wasn't far enough in?

The baby one gets wider at about an inch. There is an adult digital? Is it longer?

I just buy a digital. I'm assuming it's an adult. It doesn't say child on it.

Laura

Oh you'd get a reading, but it might not be accurate if not in enough.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast