wondering about Labs and home intruders
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wondering about Labs and home intruders

xkill911 is offline Member

Defaultwondering about Labs and home intruders

When I hear the sounds that go bump in the night, my protective instinct takes over and I start thinking about home intruders or burglars. Then i think about my 15 month old Black Lab "locked" in his crate and wonder what he would do if someone tried to invade my home. He barks when the doorbell rings or he senses a car in the driveway, but has never growled or attacked anyone. I know labs are not guard dogs but I'd love to think if he felt someone has trying to harm his family he would do something to help.

another thing I think about is house fires, it would be terrible to be locked in his crate and I couldn't get to him because of fire.

Thank God i have never been in that position and pray I never do.

Has anyone had to deal with something like this and how did your dog react?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

Thankfully, no. But my expectation is that the typical Lab will schlurp a burglar with mega-kisses and, for a cookie, gladly show him/her where the checkbook is....

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

My dog isn't crated anymore & sticks to me like glue at night so if, god forbid, a fire happened we'd be escaping together. As for protective instinct, as you said, Labs are not hardwired for being a guard dog. Diesel has stood between me & someone he was unsure of before. One time a group of men were arguing across the street & Diesel sat on my feet like he was guarding me & growled. I've never seen him growl or bark at someone directly though.

My friend had a Rottie who would act more like a Lab than a Rottie - what we picture with that joke sign "Home Protected By Labrador Security Company" suggests a Lab would let a robber walk right in, give kisses & let him leave intact with all your goods.

I think it depends on the dog & the circumstance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

At 15 months he's not trusted to sleep with the crate door open?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer loves everyone he meets, and might lick someone to death . . . but that probably isn't possible. I don't tell people that though. Occasionally we have service people come to the house that don't know labs, and they ask, "Does he bite?" I always answer, "I'll try to hold him back." Bauer (4) has only growled a few times, once that really surprised me. We were running one morning, and there was a man walking toward us on the sidewalk. As soon as Bauer saw him, he froze. When I stopped, he got in front of me and growled while staring at the man. The man didn't do anything threatening, and although he looked a little sketchy, he didn't do anything that made me think he was dangerous. Bauer sensed something about him that he didn't like. He had never done that before and hasn't done it since. I don't know if he would physically attack someone, but he was quite intimidating that morning.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Don't sell him short. We were at a horse show a few years ago and some creepy looking guy came down our stall aisle. My Lab, who NEVER growled at anyone, went ballistic. Fur on end, big deep barks and growls. ALL three dogs in the aisle with us were very unhappy. The guy was panhandling, but we wonder if he wasn't casing the stalls. He left, doggies were praised. Never saw the guy again.

Once my boys were "house safe" they were never crated at night. I like them in my room and on my bed....
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Just curious why your 15 month old Lab is still in the crate? For the very reasons you cited, I don't recommend it past the destructive or non-house broken stage.

I'm afraid if someone broke into our home and offered to take them hunting or to "play fetch", the dawgs would follow them anywhere.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

xkill911 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy_TX View Post
    Just curious why your 15 month old Lab is still in the crate?
    just habit I guess. his crate is in my dining room which is really the computer room. there someone in that room till 2am most of the time.

Nopups4meyet is offline Senior Member

I've read that in general, labs are destructive up until around age 3. A good friend of mine kept her dog crated at night, always, as nothing was safe from being chewed. I assumed that most labs were similar. So, they aren't?

Other dog owners that I know also crate their dogs at night...long past the puppy stage. I would do the same.
    Last edited by Nopups4meyet; 05-15-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

I think it is purely a matter of when they can be trusted. My first attempt with my dog went well day one, day two he destroyed a bunch of papers. When looking after my brothers dogs Nibss had a couple of good days and then one or more of the dogs did some serious shredding on another day. Nibbs will be one year old in another day so I may give him another go at it soon and see how he does for a few days. I have tended to close the door to the bathroom and my bedroom when leaving him out and I get the impression he thought I was in one of those rooms the 1st time I let him out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast