Just saw this on tv- ? for breeders
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just saw this on tv- ? for breeders

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust saw this on tv- ? for breeders

We were just watching a show on tv about this kennel called " Royalty British Kennel" They breed " British labs" for hunting. www.royaltybritishkennels.com - He was touting his kennel as one of the best in the country, but boy it sure seemed like he had a lot of dogs on hand! I don't know it just bothered me that these dogs were living in Kennels! DH says I'm just a skeptic and this is his business and the dog's appeared well cared for. Well they did, but man I felt bad for those pup's. Does anyone know anything about this kennel? Am I just being a softy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'm still looking around the site, but what bothers me more then the number of dogs is I haven't seen any mention of health clearances yet.

Di

I wish you could of seen the show- it was on R/R TV- channel 354 if you have direct TV. It bothered me that the dogs were kept in separate kennels- like what you would see at a rescue- they were not together. I mean when mom had a litter she was with the pup's but the older dogs were all alone. Maybe I'm just use to our dogs, but labs are social dogs - how do they do being all by themselves like that. I'll be interested to see if you find anything on clearances. I have to admit after seeing the show and finding the site. I was depressed about it and didn't have the desire to spend much time on the site!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dipete View Post
    I wish you could of seen the show- it was on R/R TV- channel 354 if you have direct TV...
    We have DirecTV. Funny, I never realized we had that channel, tho. I'll do a program search and see if that's going to be on again.

...It bothered me that the dogs were kept in separate kennels- like what you would see at a rescue- they were not together. I mean when mom had a litter she was with the pup's but the older dogs were all alone...
    That's not as bad as you think, as long as the dogs are getting enough time out of the kennels to play, socialize, have human interaction, etc.

...I'll be interested to see if you find anything on clearances...
    I couldn't find one mention of any health clearances. Looking at the pedigrees of some of the dogs, I was able to pick up on field/hunt titles, but nothing about health screenings.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

They are field dogs and have field trail champions in the back of the pedigree - but I don't see anything about clearances either. Not sure why he is going to England to get dogs that look like that.

It is not uncommon for hunting dogs of any breed to live kenneled like that. They are not pets. I'm sure that they have decent lives - but again - if he is not clearing the breeding stock and breeding (as he says) for looks and hunting ability - he's a large scale byb.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Di

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    They are field dogs and have field trail champions in the back of the pedigree - but I don't see anything about clearances either. Not sure why he is going to England to get dogs that look like that.

It is not uncommon for hunting dogs of any breed to live kenneled like that. They are not pets. I'm sure that they have decent lives - but again - if he is not clearing the breeding stock and breeding (as he says) for looks and hunting ability - he's a large scale byb.
    Yeah that is how I felt, after seeing the show! I hope for the dogs sake, he is legit, but I have concerns - he sure is making a ton of money off of them and after this show, I'm sure it will be even more so- One of the things on the show he said that bother me is that he has a " breeding season" so it seems he has several bitches preg. at once- maybe this is normal-and maybe I just need to educate myself more, but it just seemed wrong. Plus he was feeding royal canine food-

ms pink is offline Junior Member

My husband and I were actually just at this kennel and decided after much research to buy one of their dogs. I have to say that I have never seen a kennel where the dogs are better treated or more loved. They place is spotless and all the dogs are extremely happy. I can't say enough about how wonderful this place is. We visited a number of places looking at dogs and this was by and far the best. The owner gets right in there and loves his dogs, they get a lot of socialization time, they're HAPPY. They are well screened for health issues and he doesn't over-breed his dogs.

labby is offline Senior Member

You can understand how we might be a bit suspicious that this thread was brought up after 5 months and your first post is how great they are?

From what you are saying, you could be describing ANY of a hundred breeders. Your description fits most reputable breeders.

Laura

fburke is offline Senior Member

I got one of my labs from a larger breeder. I had the same concerns where there were several dogs and they were more kept outside or in a heated barn rather than in the house with the family with the exception of moms and pups that were kept in the basement of the main house during whelping and nursing.

I thought long and hard about it at first but I came to realize several things.
    This was their business, they breed and showed there labs professionally
    They had a very good reputation both locally and from some of the references I got.

She had all health clearances for the parents and pups…she had everything on file and presented it when asked and on delivery of my puppy copies were provided to me.
    They and their labs had won numerous awards, I was able to verify on -line through several different lab organizations one of which this breeder had been on the board of directors for years.
    When I visited the kennel the dogs appeared to be well fed in good spirits and showed no signs of sickness or neglect.
    The outside area they had to themselves was fenced in with a chain link fence with a doggy door going into their heated barn area but the area was larger than my own property with plenty of drinking water, and was pretty clean and the odor was not unpleasant for a farm, I did not see an abundance of poop piles I would guess this is cleaned out every day.
    She did keep males and females separate from each other and from the paper work I got she always outsourced her studs so that there would not be any question of cross breeding.
    I come to realize that a dog is a dog and some of us loving pet owners seem to humanize them but in reality Labs have may uses and can live quite happily in many different environments Just because my lab sleeps in my bed at night does not mean that a lab sleeping in a barn is any more or less happy… as long as it’s warm dry and clean.

they had food, shelter, look like they got their share of attention but they were more live stock than the family pet..bottom line is they were well card for so I bought one of their puppies and have never had any regrets and would go back.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ms pink View Post
    My husband and I were actually just at this kennel and decided after much research to buy one of their dogs. I have to say that I have never seen a kennel where the dogs are better treated or more loved. They place is spotless and all the dogs are extremely happy. I can't say enough about how wonderful this place is. We visited a number of places looking at dogs and this was by and far the best. The owner gets right in there and loves his dogs, they get a lot of socialization time, they're HAPPY. They are well screened for health issues and he doesn't over-breed his dogs.
    And - since our primary concern about this breeder was the complete absence of reference to health clearances (a basic requirement before proceeding to breed any dog) what have you to say about that? Did you see proof of hip, elbow, eye and heart clearances on the bitch and dog that produced your puppy?

Somebody can love their dogs a whole lot and still be irresponsible as a breeder.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast