Hamilton is doing something unusual, what do I do?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton is doing something unusual, what do I do?

judiz is offline Senior Member

DefaultHamilton is doing something unusual, what do I do?

Hamilton has always had the run of the house and usually sleeps in our bed with us. My husband is a very heavy snorer so I tend to sleep in the extra bedroom if his snoring wakes me up. It doesn't bother Hamilton who usually moves in my spot and sleeps there all night. However, for the past week Hamilton has been coming into the extra bedroom and scratching at the carpet. He will scratch three or five times, lie down and then get up and scratch again. I tell him to stop, he does and then starts again as soon as I get back into bed. I finally have to take him out of the room and shut the door so he can't get back in. He will then go and sleep on the couch in the living room. Now as far as we know, Hamilton only does this at night when someone is in the room, during the daytime he will sleep on the extra bed if he goes into the extra bedroom. Any theories as to why Hamilton is doing the scratching? I have tried to get Hamilton to jump on the bed with me when he comes into the room but it's a twin bed and I guess he doesn't like sharing such a small bed.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

to get comfortable. my foster digs and scratches at the dog bed once in awhile to get "comfy".
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's instinct. Maybe you should put a dog bed on the floor in that extra bedroom so that when he comes in there he has a nest he can park himself in.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Nesting. Be glad he doesn't do it in bed. Judy will scratch at the bedding until it's all in a pile then lie down on it. Give Hamilton an old throw or blanket and let him scratch and arrange it to his heart's content.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Have to agree with the arranging thing. I'm a fairly light sleeper & every so often, I will hear Lexi scratch like a maniac at her dog bed. I've always figured something was not right & she was fixing it. On those nights, I will find her bed all shifted around & her blankie in the corner.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

joflake is offline Senior Member

I was going to say what the others said, but isn't Hamilton the pup who scratches the carpet during the thunderstorms? Do I have the right doggie?

If so, I'd say it's anxiety. Maybe he's anxious because you're not in your normal pattern for sleeping which disrupts him? Maybe he wants to be with you, but he wants to be in bed too?

Sorry if I got the wrong dog. I'll have to go look for that post.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    Nesting. Be glad he doesn't do it in bed. Judy will scratch at the bedding until it's all in a pile then lie down on it.
    LOL! Diesel does this too, usually right after I make the bed!

judiz is offline Senior Member

Yes, Hamilton first started doing the scratching during a thunderstorm, I've tried putting towels and an old blanket down for him on the carpet, he just pushes it aside to get to the carpet. I understand fully about nesting, my blankets all have holes in them as does one mattress. He does have a thundershirt but I'm not sure if it can or should be used every night.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie does it. She will even try scratching out a bed on a tile floor! It is just something they do.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Holes in blankets and the mattress??!! I get the nesting, mine do that but they have never done that to the point of putting holes in blankets and a mattress. Maybe it is anxiety and you should talk to the vet about it. My Emma used to get super anxious when she was left alone, during thunder storms, etc, the vet put her on a Prozac type medication for a few months and it really helped her. She still does not like to be left for any length of time but she does not get as frantic as she used to. Thunder storms no longer send her in to a full blown panic either, she just hides her head under the blankets. It might be something to talk to the vet about.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast