Just Labradors banner

4ft or 6ft leash

10K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  kassabella 
#1 ·
I have used both a 4ft and 6ft leash and have to say I prefer the 4ft leash. The 6ft one just has too much slack all the time and when there are those moments where you need absolute control NOW a 4ft is much quicker. Which length do you prefer and why?

#2 ·
I use a long retractable leash most of the time. I like that I don't have to deal with slack. I can have it short if I need to, but most of the time Bella gets as much leash as she wants. (It helps that she's really easy to walk.)
I do have a 6ft leather leash that I use on rare occasions.

#3 ·
Only very rarely are mine even on a leash. For general walks if I must have a leash, at a motel for example, I use the retractable leash. From the car to a building, I use a six foot in case they need to pee or poop. At a show a four foot is fine, as at least my adults are always off leash while competeting.

My six foot leash is a very pliable leather that is similar to a thick boot lace. It folds up very easily.

#7 ·
Homer has a 4ft and Misha has a 6 ft. When I walk them Homer is right by left side and Misha walks besides Homer to the left. I like the 6 ft leash more because you can leave it loose or just fold it to have the dogs at a closer position. Vermont walks on my right side with a 6 ft leash also. It really is a matter of preference... none of my dogs pulls on the leash, but I just find the longer ones more comfy.

#8 ·
Depends on where we are. In town or around a lot of people, 4ft. Going the the vet or in and out of car, I have a really nice 6ft braided leather leash. I really like the looks of that one. But walking on our road just for leisurely walks I use the 15ft training lead. That way they can sniff and smell and check things out.

I hate retractable leashes. I feel like I have no control. I tried one and then gave it to the shelter. I had a tendance to reach out and grab the cord and that hurts.

#9 ·
I like using a hands free leash. The one I have can be adjusted, but I don't know the exact measurments (I would guess it goes from aobut 3.5 - 6.5 feet). I make it short if we are walking in crowds, and longer when we are on a normal walk or run.

#13 ·
We use 6' leads. I loop the leash over my shoulder and it keeps Buddy in the heal position.
I dislike flex leads as i have seen dogs change directions and end up in the street w/o the owners sensing where their dogs are. Also have seen people get tripped up because the owners did not brake the lead and the lead became a tripping hazard.

#14 ·
I like the shortest lead possible. If Erns gets too much movement he is hard to control. Another reason for one that is if he has the lead on he is great, so if we are at friends he trots around with the short lead tucked into his collar. Without a lead he is uncontrolable.Strange boy.

I don't use the retracable as one broke on me and ripped skin off my fingers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.