Poop! How often and how much???!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poop! How often and how much???!!!

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoop! How often and how much???!!!

This should probably be in the food/nutrition forum but I wanted to get as much traffic as possible!

Is there a "normal" amount my pups should be going poo? Right now, they eat one and a half cups of food twice a day. They are pooing after the eat in the am, again mid day, after dinner and then in the middle of the night. Sometimes it's one more time somewhere in there too. It's formed, but not hard and it seems to be a lot. They are eating Flint River. I'm just wondering if this is a normal amount? Does the frequency decrease with age?

Thanks in advance!

Jen
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Mine go 2x a day usually. What you describe seems excessive. May be too much food/too much filler. The middle of the night thing alone would make me change food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Mine also go 2x per day. Like clockwork. One in the morning and one in the early evening.

But they are also adults. I think yours are still quite young, no? If so then 3-4 times daily is ok, I'm pretty sure Baloo pooped at least 3 times daily when he was a young'un.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    Mine also go 2x per day. Like clockwork. One in the morning and one in the early evening.

But they are also adults. I think yours are still quite young, no? If so then 3-4 times daily is ok, I'm pretty sure Baloo pooped at least 3 times daily when he was a young'un.
    Yes, they are 11 and 13 weeks old.

Sharon, I've thought about switching food. With all the recalls going on, I'm just not sure what or if to switch. Do you have any suggestions? I'm not married to continuing with the Flint River. I'm finding they poop A LOT when they do go and was wondering if it was the food. I know Flint River is a good food, but most likely not the best so any suggestions would be great. Also worried about too much protein since they are so young and growing.
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

My pups (now six months) go maybe three times a day. I am weaning out their lunch meal now. I expect that they will go less. Now if I could just stop them from eating grass likes cow!!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    My pups (now six months) go maybe three times a day. I am weaning out their lunch meal now. I expect that they will go less. Now if I could just stop them from eating grass likes cow!!!
    Karen, what are you feeding them? And funny, my pups think they are cows too!! That, and the dirt/mud. Wish all the digging resulted in truffles...then I wouldn't mind so much!
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Puppies have to go more often than older dogs. 4 times a day for a pup I would consider it normal. As they grow up it will go down to 3, and then most adults usually go 2 times a day.

Vermont my puppy used to poop 3 times a day from 3 months til 6 months. Now that he´s 8mo he usually goes a couple times a day (or even just one).

Misha and Homer consistently poop 2 times a day (early morning, then in the evening or at night before going to sleep)

mss
    mss is offline Member

I have a 13 YO whose bowel movements defy the laws of physics, and always have. She simply does not seem to consume nearly as much as she eliminates. I asked the vet about it once, and he just shrugged.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx would go 4 times a day at that age. Thankfully at almost 10 mos it is 2 times per day, has been since about 6 mos. Maybe splitting their food in to 3 feedings a day would help with the middle of the night poo? Maxx didn't get up for anything in the middle of the night after the first 2 days, thank goodness!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenylynne View Post
    Karen, what are you feeding them? And funny, my pups think they are cows too!! That, and the dirt/mud. Wish all the digging resulted in truffles...then I wouldn't mind so much!
    I am feeding Grandma Lucy's in the morning and kibble at night. I was feeding Natire's Variety kibble, but it just smelled rancid. So I switched to TOTW. Sigh, now we are transitioning to Earthborn Holistic Primitive. Hoss is my dirt eater. AsA pup, he used to mine for rocks and eat them!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast