Barking

Thread: Barking

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

DefaultBarking

I was at the dog park last weekend with some nice people and their nice dogs when my dog started to bark. I called her to me and then released her, no biggie. One of the other owners of the dogs told me it was fine and unnecessary for me to stop her from barking. We then got into a conversation about barking. My Layla rarely barks. I don't allow it. When she does bark it is usually at the dog park and she is elevating her excitement level. The other time she usually does is when she is rough housing with the kids in our house. Play time is over the moment she barks. I have no plans on changing my general no barking rule for my dog. I don't think it is in any way mistreating her and I think we do fine communicating. What do you guys think about your dogs and barking?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

dogs bark. i let them bark at the park or in the yard if they are playing because - dogs bark!

i do have them stop if they are barking for no reason or for my attention.

if they bark to signal something (there is something there) i "thank them" and have them stop.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya, thanks for the input. I see that you have a several dogs. If I had more than one dog then I don't think I would have any issue with barking when my dogs were playing. I don't have a problem with barking so much as when Layla barks her behavior/excitement level is usually getting to an inappropriate place.

Also, Layla isn't really allowed to ask for my attention with barking or any other means. I give her attention on my terms.
    Last edited by slackercodemonkey; 05-03-2012 at 11:56 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Are your children allowed to speak or laugh or shout? It's the same thing, IMO.

I could see enforcing a no bark rule with a large pack with the potential to really disturb the neighbors (as my breeder with 10 dogs in a suburban subdivision HAD TO) but to prevent one dog from barking? What's the point?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Absolutely, my kids are allowed to laugh. Shout, no, unless there is a VERY good reason. I guess that is my point. Layla doesn't really have a good reason to bark in her everyday life which I find kind of odd when thinking about it. Her life revolves around me making sure she is engaged enough physically and mentally. I make sure of that. None of that requires barking. Her favorite favorite thing in the whole wide world is sniffing along a trail. I give her that as often as I can. I work on communication with her to engage her mind, but for the most part she is out and about going with me wherever I go. She wouldn't leave my side if my work allowed her. Seriously, she is at my feet or traveling by my side pretty much from the moment I get home to the moment I leave for for work. I don't ever go to the bathroom with out her laying against the door waiting for me to get out. Also, my wife is a stay at home mom and two of my kids are home all day long. She is very engaged with the whole family. So I guess the point is, is that I have found no appropriate situation where Layla is allowed to bark. I do, however, see that that there are appropriate times for a dog to bark. I figured that there are many people here where their dogs mean as much to them as mine does to me and I was wondering what your thoughts were.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    Absolutely, my kids are allowed to laugh. Shout, no, unless there is a VERY good reason. I guess that is my point. Layla doesn't really have a good reason to bark in her everyday life which I find kind of odd when thinking about it. Her life revolves around me making sure she is engaged enough physically and mentally. I make sure of that. None of that requires barking. Her favorite favorite thing in the whole wide world is sniffing along a trail. I give her that as often as I can. I work on communication with her to engage her mind, but for the most part she is out and about going with me wherever I go. She wouldn't leave my side if my work allowed her. Seriously, she is at my feet or traveling by my side pretty much from the moment I get home to the moment I leave for for work. I don't ever go to the bathroom with out her laying against the door waiting for me to get out. Also, my wife is a stay at home mom and two of my kids are home all day long. She is very engaged with the whole family. So I guess the point is, is that I have found no appropriate situation where Layla is allowed to bark. I do, however, see that that there are appropriate times for a dog to bark. I figured that there are many people here where their dogs mean as much to them as mine does to me and I was wondering what your thoughts were.
    I'm not, and I don't think others are disputing that you love your dog & she means a lot to you. But you seem to be strict on the bark rule & already have a pre-conceived idea in your head of what constitutes a justifiable reason for a dog to bark. Unless you've been a dog in a former life, or have some telepathic way of communicating with them, I think you need to lighten up a bit & let your dog "use her words."

Diesel isn't much of a barker, he has started a new thing in the last year of barking a lot while we are inside the house. It's been driving me crazy, but I let it take place long enough to understand his different types of barks (tones, urgencies) and their corresponding meanings. His indoor barking is for 3 reasons. Something I urgently need to know - someone is digging through our recycling bin that sits outside our porch (so they are directly on our property), someone 10 houses down shut a car door, and then his "mama, I want you to open the door so I can look out the screen door & watch stuff."

More often than not, it is the latter which is his most annoying, whiny bark & the only reason I am trying to break him of it is that I don't always want my door wide open as you can see my living room from the street if the wooden door is open. So I take his toys & set him up in the back room, but I don't scold him or tell him to be quiet. The last thing I want to do is have him think barking is a bad thing so when something is happening that I really do need to know he's sitting there wanting to bark, but afraid to get into trouble.

Layla's going to bark, she's a dog. Not every bark can be deciphered, not every bark will have a direct correlation to an event or action, sometimes dogs just bark. But I really think you need to relax the "no legitimate reason to bark" thinking.

Rest assured, if Layla barks and there is a good reason she will not get in 'trouble'. Also, I don't think Layla thinks barking is a bad thing in and of itself for two reasons. I don't proof no barking. She didn't know sit means sit in the woods the same as it does in the living room until we worked on it. She didn't even know sit meant sit immediately and not come to me and then sit right in front of me until we proofed it. She knows a couple contexts in which she isn't allowed to bark. She doesn't choose to bark in any other context so she doesn't bark. Layla really has no fear of getting in 'trouble'. Life to her is figuring out what I want so she can get back to what she wants as soon as possible.

Diesel_Dog, I don't see anything wrong with the contexts in which your dogs bark. For Layla, the closest thing to that is her role as door monitor. If I need to go to the door she gets up and goes to the front door. I know that because she was just at my feet. Also, with the exception of ringing the door bells to go out and do her business, Layla is not allowed to ask/demand for something that she wants. She plays when a human(my family) says it is time to play and she stops when a human(my family) says it is time to stop. The communication is to her not from her.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    I was at the dog park last weekend with some nice people and their nice dogs when my dog started to bark. I called her to me and then released her, no biggie. One of the other owners of the dogs told me it was fine and unnecessary for me to stop her from barking. We then got into a conversation about barking. My Layla rarely barks. I don't allow it. When she does bark it is usually at the dog park and she is elevating her excitement level. The other time she usually does is when she is rough housing with the kids in our house. Play time is over the moment she barks. I have no plans on changing my general no barking rule for my dog. I don't think it is in any way mistreating her and I think we do fine communicating. What do you guys think about your dogs and barking?
    IŽm like you... I have a NO Barking rule at home. Especially senseless barking, I find it extremely annoying. Misha never barks, it is extremely rare. SheŽll growl when playing bitey but never barks. Homer barks only on occassion. If he starts barking out of excitement he is immediately corrected. If there is indeed something strange going on, then IŽll just take a look at what happens, and heŽll be quiet.

Vermont is a natural barker (Collies love to bark their heads off). IŽm a natural "shut upper"... With this breed if you allow the incessant barking youŽll end up with a dog that barks annoyingly all day long. He knows to shut up now, and for a Collie heŽs really not that noisy.

Dogs should do what you allow them to. In my case barking is not allowed, I hate it. My old Choco Lab Brownie had just 1 major deffect. She loved to bark her head off out of excitement and it was impossible to get her to shut up, it was extremely annoying. The rest of the dog was the best dog IŽve ever met.

ThereŽs nothing more annoying than little dogs (mini schnauzers specially) that bark and never stop.