NLR. Finicky Dogs

Thread: NLR. Finicky Dogs

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR. Finicky Dogs

Hi all, I need some advice with a problem that most Lab owners will never have. Vermont my Collie is really a headache when it comes feeding time.

Misha and Homer love their food (they are on prescription diet j/d) and gobble everything up within a minute. Which is great for a busy single guy that has to leave early for work.

But Vermont on the other hand is a total PITA at feeding times. Heīs on Proplanīs Salmon formula, which he used to like (he doesntīdigest well the chicken formulas for some reason, gets loose stools). But for the last couple of months getting him to eat is pain. Heīll ignore the food, I have to go and hand feed him and tell him to eat, and he takes up to an hour to finish it up. If at all.

He probably eats his full sizing only 3 times a week, and then he goes for a full day or even two days without touching his food. And the problem of course is that I canīt leave the bowl with the food because the other two will munch it within 2 seconds. Then again, when he doesnīt eat his food, he will eat the other dogsīpoop at the first chance he gets.

I donīt want to change his food again (breeder originally fed him Royal Canin, then I switched him to Proplan chicken, then to Salmon), and I canīt cook for this dog (I donīt even cook for myself).

Any suggestions? This is beggining to become very annoying and Iīm loosing patience here. Seriously, I spend 1/2 hour in the mornings trying to get him to eat (and arriving late to work), and then again the same problem at night. Heīs healthy, no problems at all. Heīs just finicky...

I have tried leaving him with the bowl ten minutes, then remove it... he doesnīt touch it. I again feed him at night... the same... the next day heīs starving and eats everything, but at that point he already munched on the otherīs poop, so letting him starve doesnīt work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I would pick up poop as soon as it touches the ground so he can't eat it. Then I would continue with the leave it down for ten minutes and then pcik it up if he hasn't ate anything. He won't starve himself. My dog Mae is a poop eater(she just started again after 4 years with nothing...grr) so I make sure all poop is picked up. She also is not a big eater. She gets 1/2 cup in morning and 1 cup at night. She will sometimes go 3 days without eating then eat all her food. It is an off and on thing. If the weather is really hot(like yesterday was 90 degress with 60% humidity none of my dogs eat heck I barley eat!) so I think the weather could be a factor as well.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Deidres got it right. Pick up the poop and stick with the program. He won't starve himself.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

They usually poop early in the morning and late at night, when Iīm at home, so I pick it up right after they go, the problem is when Iīm not home and they go... thatīs when they feast on it...

If he was an adult dog I wouldnīt mind "starving" him if he doesnīt eat, but since heīs only 8 months old and still growing, I donīt want him to have any nutrition issues...

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Emma is a picky eater like Vermont. I put her food down and if she does not eat in 10-15 minutes it gets picked up. She is almost 6 yrs old and has always been like this, she hasn't starved herself yet! I think Deidra gave you great advice. You can't control everything unless you seperate them so he can't get to the other dog's poo. Maybe crate him and try to break his habit!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow View Post
    They usually poop early in the morning and late at night, when Iīm at home, so I pick it up right after they go, the problem is when Iīm not home and they go... thatīs when they feast on it...

If he was an adult dog I wouldnīt mind "starving" him if he doesnīt eat, but since heīs only 8 months old and still growing, I donīt want him to have any nutrition issues...
    If you start catering to him now, he will always be a picky eater. Blaise went through a period where he was less interested in his food at about that age. He got over it. He wont starve himself.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I know I have to stop doing it (I hate to do it actually). I swear if he was grown up I wouldnīt care less but since heīs still in the fast growing stage I donīt want him to have growth problems. When I got him he had a calcium deficiency and his arms were bent a little, took up to 3 months to fix.

If I could only mix a little Lab on him... Iīd love to slow Homer down a bit at feeding time and get this guy to eat his food...

Itīs amazing how different he is to a Lab in all regards...