Key Fob systems for dog parks??

Thread: Key Fob systems for dog parks??

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultKey Fob systems for dog parks??

One of the dog parks in my area is implementing a key fob system soon. That means that in order to get into the park, you will have to have a key fob (like to unlock your car). In order to get one of these, you will have to pay $40 a year, and I believe take a class and prove your dogs are okay with others.

There are pros and cons, but I have run into so many idiots with aggressive dogs, young puppies, unvaccinated dogs, etc. Abbey has gotten beaten up at that park before, but she loves to go swimming, so I always tried to go somewhere where others weren't, but some of the dogs would go after her anyways. So we stopped going.

But using this system should theoretically stop a lot of people from being able to go to the parks with dogs who are unfit in that kind of scenario.. and if issues do arise, they will be able to track who was there and then that particular dog may not be allowed there anymore.

I guess I'm a supporter of it, but I still don't think I'll be taking Abbey to any dog parks anymore.

So, do any of your dog parks have this system and how does it work??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I haven't heard about this. Is the park in the Lansing area?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

I belong to a private dog park that has a system similar to what you described. Also, members have a fiduciary responsibility to the park. It works well. We have regular member meetings where amongst other things complaints are presented and if necessary memberships rescinded. I've gone there since our was a pup and have never witnessed any problems. People who do not clean up after their dog(s) or have dogs who show aggression are not welcome. The members enforce this policy.

I actually met a cousin to our lab at the park. It is a roundtrip of about 60 miles but worth the drive to know that he will have a safe environment with lots of buddies to play with when we get there. The park is off leash and has separate areas for different sizes of dogs. It also has a double entry system so you can enter the first section with your dog on leash before entering the main park.

We are required to do one session of either spring or fall annual clean-up.

Owners submit UTD health/vac records on each dog before receiving their new key for each year of membership.

There is a group of labs and Goldens who meet there on a regular basis. Same time, same day, each week so we have a lot of regulars whose dogs play well with each other.

I think our park is probably the exception rather than the norm for dog parks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    I haven't heard about this. Is the park in the Lansing area?
    Yep, Soldan's. I'm on the Friends of Greater Lansing Dog Parks listserv, or whatever that group is called.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc View Post
    I belong to a private dog park that has a system similar to what you described. Also, members have a fiduciary responsibility to the park. It works well. We have regular member meetings where amongst other things complaints are presented and if necessary memberships rescinded. I've gone there since our was a pup and have never witnessed any problems. People who do not clean up after their dog(s) or have dogs who show aggression are not welcome. The members enforce this policy.

I actually met a cousin to our lab at the park. It is a roundtrip of about 60 miles but worth the drive to know that he will have a safe environment with lots of buddies to play with when we get there. The park is off leash and has separate areas for different sizes of dogs. It also has a double entry system so you can enter the first section with your dog on leash before entering the main park.

We are required to do one session of either spring or fall annual clean-up.

Owners submit UTD health/vac records on each dog before receiving their new key for each year of membership.

There is a group of labs and Goldens who meet there on a regular basis. Same time, same day, each week so we have a lot of regulars whose dogs play well with each other.

I think our park is probably the exception rather than the norm for dog parks.
    See, that's how I think this park should be run, but of course a lot of people don't agree with it (probably the people with "problem" dogs).

That sounds like a great environment for dogs to learn and play in.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

There is one near us that does it that way. The problem there is, and I would assume it's not limited to this park, some long time members have some questionable dogs and their friends get in with dogs that are okay "most of the time" or "he's/she's a rescue/new/old so they can be nervous just watch out." If I'm paying for dogs to be screened and a dog is questionable, I don't want them there kwim? Too political for me - we make our own dog parks with play dates with other dogs.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Felix is offline Senior Member

This is our dogpark, just around the corner

You dont have to pay a single dollar/euro for it, and it's accesible for enyone, and i must say .. Nothing realy happend amongst the dogs who entered that place

Ohw, and it is maintained by the community -> Cleaning dog poo, or make repairs to the fences

Pretty awesome if you asked me!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    Yep, Soldan's. I'm on the Friends of Greater Lansing Dog Parks listserv, or whatever that group is called.
    That would definitely keep out the riff-raff!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

We don't have dog parks in the area that I live, but I've always been leery of them. If the rules are imposed correctly and there is no "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" going on by the members in which aggressive dogs/unvaccinated dogs, etc. are allowed in, then it would probably be great! I've never heard of this sort of thing, so I'm glad you posted about it, Justine.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That's very interesting. None of ours are policed in any way.

I tell you what I wish: I wish there was a park just for our dog club members. That way you would know everyone there was dog savvy, knew what to do if trouble erupted, would most likely head off trouble before it happened, etc.