They Love Frisbees

Thread: They Love Frisbees

Rusty's Mom is offline Member

DefaultThey Love Frisbees

After their serious training session was finished this morning, we let them have a half dozen fun frisbees each. They love it because they can run, chase them in air, make leaping catches and generally do all those things that would get them into trouble if it was during retrieving bumpers in serious training drills.

Carrying on in their big brother's memory ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rusty's Mom is offline Member

I thought Rusty was answering nature's call when he stopped and sort of froze in a slightly crouched position.

Then I saw what he was watching ...

They walked around the corner of the pond past Rusty and within 20 yards of him. He just stood there and wtched them go by.

They joined up with some of their friends and seem completely confident that the two dawgs won't bother them.

Jim keeps telling me that's "conditioned response". The dawgs have been taught to leave the birds alone and the waterfowl all ignore the dawgs unless they get really close. Even then, the ducks and geese sort of voice their disapproval and ease into the water and paddle away.
    Carrying on in their big brother's memory ...

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Carol - love the pictures! I am laughing at myself because I said that looks like Jim's Rusty and Remi before I realized of course it is. Rusty is a beautiful dog.

Isn't it great to have a sister

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Great pictures.......however, please be careful about allowing the dogs to leap up to catch them. As my ortho vet likes to say, "I love frisbees and those owners who let their dogs leap up to catch them. They keep me in business."

You're asking for a cruiciate problem.

Laura

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Great pictures.......however, please be careful about allowing the dogs to leap up to catch them. As my ortho vet likes to say, "I love frisbees and those owners who let their dogs leap up to catch them. They keep me in business." You're asking for a cruiciate problem.
    Just wait until old what's-his-face comes in and I make him read your reply. He's always been so firm about not allowing the dawgs to jump up or down from heights such as the bed of the truck or higher UTVs. Truth be known, Jim is very protective of the dawgs and I'm surprised that he wasn't aware of this potential problem.

I'm still learning. Didn't notice that I was signed in under Jim's account. Sorry about that.

Carol

PS ... "Google is your Friend" he often tells me. So why didn't HE look at "Canine Cruciate Ligament Injuries and Frisbees"? Wow ... article after article. Thanks for the heads-up, Laura.

This is an excerpt from just one of many dozen milder warnings: "One big difference between veterinary and human cruciate injuries is that human cruciate ruptures tend to be due to traumatic injuries, such as, playing sports. In animals this isnít always the case, which is another good reason itís often a good idea to look into insurance for dogs.

While some may occur as the result of some injury, such as after chasing a Frisbee, 75% of cases are thought to be due to congenital predisposition (genetics) or degeneration in the stifle. Obesity is a huge predisposing factor! Breeds prone to this condition include the Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, Rottweiler, and St. Bernard among others."
    Last edited by Cappy_TX; 05-02-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Opppps!
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Cool

Carol, mine too LOVE LOVE LOVE the frisbees, well, Nola and Rhys, anyways, Ruby loves nothing but herself LOL.

I saw a friend's Lab/Pyr mix tear a cruciate walking to the water dish, and another friend's dog tore it in the water while we were all having fun bumpers. That dog wasn't running, he was swimming. No problem going IN after the bumper but the minute he stepped down coming OUT there was an issue.

I don't like to say that frisbees cause torn cruciates, I like to say it probably doesn't help. Nor does flying off a deck (which mine do...) nor jumping straight up to greet me when I get home (which mine do...) nor does flying in the house on the laminate floor the minute a kibble hits a stainless steel pan (which mine also do...)...nor does crashing into one another when they're playing (which I think everyone's do).

My vet and several others have told me that a fit dog should have no more trouble fetching frisbees than a ball, or jumping on a bale of hay. If the dog is FIT.

And I do believe it is far more genetics than we understand. I know some lines tear often, where some have never had it happen. My dogs are very much in condition. And frisbee is a very big part of that. I would say in his lifetime, Rhys is now 11...he's probably caught more than 100,000 frisbees, though he's not a big jumper now, he LOVES his frisbee time just the same. Now, Nola is far more athletic than he is. I worry more about catching a tooth than tearing a cruciate. Nola lost a premolar. Nola's co-breeder is a vet as well and her GWP tore a cruciate chasing a squirrel, and he's a MH so I'd assume quite fit. But it happens. You can't omit all the stuff that possibly will tear a cruciate.

That said, those are great pictures! We just recently picked up a soft frisbee like the ones Remi and Rusty have from Tractor Supply, so far, Nola wants to carry it folded like a taco, but she's learning!

I know, Laura that you don't like frisbees and I respect that opinion, but I do think that there should be a disclaimer on your warning. I wouldn't let a fat dog chase a ball either, let alone jump for a frisbee. A fit dog, absolutely.
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 05-02-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola