how to stop my dog pulling on the lead?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to stop my dog pulling on the lead?

Lauren. is offline Member

Defaulthow to stop my dog pulling on the lead?

Ive tried everything to try and stop my choc lab from pulling on the lead! Its very frustrating when she sees another person or a dog she pulls and doesnt stop.She so strong and its hard to stop her pulling once shes seen someone or something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Have you tried a Gentle Leader?

Tie a Long lead around your waist leaving about 4 feet to use as the actual lead. YOu should be able to hold the dog back this way.

When the lead goes taught, stop! Turn around and go in the opposite direction. When he/she assumes the proper postion, proceed where you were going to go. Do not give in. Make sure that you have the time to complete your planned walk with many of these instances. The dog will learn.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

August is offline Member

Yes, I got one of the Gentle Leader harnesses for my Zulu. These harnesses have a martingale on front which helps. You can get them everywhere. I just put this link so you can see what it looks like.

Premier Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harnesses for Dogs - Gentle Leader Harness Collar - Petco.com
    Pax vobiscum

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

i highly recommend obedience classes
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kassabella is offline Senior Member

As has suggested above.
    I found all 4 dogs that pulled have needed different approaches, so maybe work out which is best for you.

With Kassa a young dog the stop and turn worked well.
    Erns at 5 it was halti. He was ok until we did the halti dance. Then stop turn almost everything until I got a short lead and tried the stop turn again. He is brilliant. Put him on a long lead and he gets too much strength before I can hold him.Treats and verbal works. I started in the same area so he knew every inch and watched me.

Gems needed a long lead and the wet dry spaghetti method. When the lead goes like dry spaghetti stop, stand like a tree and wait for her to come back. Needed encouragement. Walk with the wet spaghetti until it became tight again.Treats didn't work with her.

Tessa. I didn't try the halti on her. It is hard to stop and turn walking 2 dogs, so do the wet dry spaghetti and she is fine now.She has short or long lead and no treats.

Find what works and keep at it. It took about 4 months to get Erns under control.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    Have you tried a Gentle Leader?

Tie a Long lead around your waist leaving about 4 feet to use as the actual lead. YOu should be able to hold the dog back this way.
    This is how Erns taught me to grass surf. lolol. Got very good at it too. He is too strong for me and if he gets some movement with a long lead I am toast. Had some not very nice dips into rivers or down prickly banks. lolol

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Obedience classes. I would use a prong collar in combination with the above approaches. I am q big fan of the assorted head halters or harnesses. You can do some serious damage with a head halter to the neck vertebrae, but that is just my opinion.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

With Coleman it took me a week to even get down my driveway before he got the hint that he wasn't supposed to pull. When Coleman started pulling I just walked backwards about 4-5 steps enough so he had to turn around and walk back to me then we went forward, if he pulled again I walked backwards 4-5 steps etc. No yanking on the leash or throat corrections of any kind just turning him around and making him do the extra steps finally did the trick. We were usually both worn out but finally made it down the driveway and enjoying our walks.

Just wanted to add I did this training before we went to obedience classes. I didn't want Coleman dragging me across the street and into the building.
    Last edited by TBGSAM; 05-03-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

August is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by TBGSAM View Post
    ... When Coleman started pulling I just walked backwards about 4-5 steps enough so he had to turn around and walk back to me then we went forward, if he pulled again I walked backwards 4-5 steps etc. No yanking on the leash or throat corrections of any kind just turning him around and making him do the extra steps finally did the trick.
    I will try this with Zulu. Changing direction with her hasn't worked. She just pulls in the new direction. The Gentle Leader has helped me keep better control of her but I don't want to use it forever. She has been to puppy classes but we took a break when she was spayed. She is going to start adult obedience in a couple of weeks so that should get her going with the right training. (Training for me to do it properly anyway. )
    Pax vobiscum

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add - you may want to work on this a lot in the next few weeks and months. It will become very difficult when the new puppy arrives unless you plan on walking them separately all the time. And get the puppy to an obedience class asap to avoid having the same issue with them.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast