Puppy gone wild....

Thread: Puppy gone wild....

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy gone wild....

HELP!!
    Wondered if anyone could offer suggestions.....my litle pup, Gus, is really doing well, he is 3 months old today and of course I think he is "so smart" except........when my gandson comes over ... like today.
    Blaine will be 3 in June and is really not used to being around dogs. He likes Gus but Gus is really all over him. Since Blaine is little Gus just wants to jump on him and nip at him an act like a fruitcake and of course this makes Blaine run and jump and excites Gus even more. No matter the no's I say he is all about jumping on him. Gus really is not a jumper to anyone else. I know it is because Blaine is a little guy and Gus is just excited about playing but he is just too rough for Blaine, and I don't want to Blaine to get scared of him. I also don't want to put Gus in his kennel when Blaine comes over - I keep him one day a week.....but I don't know how to control my puppy. Any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

somet23 is offline Senior Member

stella started off the same with kids. i just showed the kids how she liked to retrieve the tennis ball and they started playing fetch and she stopped jumping on them and spent more of her energy chasing the ball
    [IMG][/IMG]

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Put the pup on a leash.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Leash so you can control the interaction.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie gets over excited around kids. We took her to a bbq at my niece's and she was going nuts when she saw all the kids. We leashed her, and had the kids approach her, pet and talk to her. We left her leashed till she was used to the kids and then let her go. She managed to knock down a girl, and it was just one of those things...she was running full boar, and the girl saw her runni ng toward her and tripped backwards. Other than that, she had a great time playing with the kids. I think if you get your pup over the initial excitement of seeing the child, he will act normally around him.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

as mentioned above, leash the dog and teach him what is appropriate and gently redirect when he is being over zealous. Start when your grandson is being calm - if he is playing and yelling as young kids do it will be harder to train the puppy (as that really gets the puppy going!)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

georgie is offline Senior Member

I remember those days, Shirley. We have six grandkids & five of them are young. When the girls were young the kids would squeal & run which just wound the pup up more. I said "no jump," "down," & "off" so much. I would leash the pup & sometimes I did crate the pup for a little while. I also told the kids to sit on a bar stool, chair or couch. That seemed to help with the training. (of kids & dog)
    The good news, the pup got older & more well trained & the kids learned how to behave around the dogs. Good luck.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone it has been a long time since I had a puppy and boy is it difficult sometime. He really is doing good but sometimes he just goes nuts. I will leash him next time. Blaine is so young and really gets Gus going even though he does not mean to. Thanks for the advice and i will be back asking again.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

You got great advice above. Just wanted to say I'm so happy you got a baby. Any pics of him? I know the crazy puppy nipping. It will soon be over though!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

labby is offline Senior Member

Gus sees Blaine as an equal playmate, consequently he is nipping, jumping etc. I like the leash idea and give him a gentle correction when he starts to get out of control. Tell Blaine that his behavior is only making it worse and teach him the proper way to be around a puppy.

Laura