Hi! Ho! Silver! Away!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi! Ho! Silver! Away!

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHi! Ho! Silver! Away!

I researched Labrador retrievers for almost a year before coming to the realization giving a loving home to a Labrador down on its luck was a win-win for both of us. During that year I became very proficient at being able to correctly identify a Labrador retriever from say a Shetland pony on even a bad day. In fact by the end of that year of research I knew my Labrador colors and what to look for by reading the breed standard as published by the Labrador retriever club and the AKC. I don’t show Labs. I don’t breed Labs. I don’t study Labs. I just loves them. If they look like a Lab, act like a Lab, then they be a Lab.

At one point near the beginning of my research into the perfect breed of dog for us I came across a web site extolling the virtues of the rare silver Labrador retriever. The web site had a photo of a cute puppy or two which I showed my wife who curled her lip and said uh-uh very emphatically. That was back in maybe 1995. Can’t really say I saw any photos of an adult silver Lab, But over the years I have read many threads on the JL forums about silver Labrador retrievers, but I never saw one.

This year I have met two silver Labs at the Bark Park one at a time. The first one I saw from a distance as we drove into the parking lot and I said to myself Wow we have a Lab fest! Getting up close I decided I was wrong. Pretty big dog. Bigger than Jack. Black, but had a gray gleam about the fur. The dog paid no attention to me or to Jack and Buddy. It wanted to retrieve . Nice dog I said what breed is he? The lady acted a bit embarrassed and told me “it is a charcoal silver Lab. My husband got it. But it is really a Labrador-Weimaraner mix.” I looked at it more closely and started noticing conformation faults. Fur texture was off, color was off, eyes, ears, and tail were all different from all the other Labs I had met. My nephew rescues Weims and that is what this dog reminded me of. I enjoy watching this dog retrieve, and he is very devoted to his human.

The other silver I met a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was a natural tailed Weim until the owner told me he had bought this silver Lab special for his wife from a breeder in Alaska who shipped the dog to Virginia. This guy loves his dog, and is proud of his dog. I don’t know this man at all other than he likes bringing his dog to the bark park for socialization and a chance to really run after a tennis ball. It is not my position or right to point out he is wrong about the origin and breed of his dog. The dog has it made. Gets to ride in a new SUV, badger and cajole his human to go to the bark park now, and hogs the bed. That is all that is important right know. If a discussion of conformation comes up, it will be a lively discussion.

But if a dog has Weim eyes, ears, whip tail, color, and fur. It is a Weim or Weim cross, not a silver Lab. Like the unicorn and the Emperor’s new clothes, the silver, caramel, charcoal fox red, white and any other designer color Labradors don’t exist.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Good post! Someone I talk to at school has 2 "silver labs" I looked at pics on FB and everything said Weim to me. I tried to explain it to him that his dogs were mixes(as nicely as I could) and he went off on me. I didn't say anything mean. I told him to go research them. He came back a week later apologizing. I think more people need to be educated about them.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I have never seen one in real life... Fortunately they don´t seem to know how to swim accross the Rio Grande to the south LOL

"Designer mutts" haven´t caught on here in Mexico. You can find a couple of these mixes in pet stores at incredibly high prices. But people know they can find the same mutts for free just around every corner.

We just say: if it walks like duck, swims like a duck and quacks... then its a duck...

Why can´t they just call it silver retriever?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with you but fox red is really a yellow lab; they can vary from pale yellow (almost white) to fox red.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

labby is offline Senior Member

I myself find the Weim-mutts very non-Labbish and consequently consider it an insult to have them called Labs. They are not Labs anymore than any other Lab mix. There is no genetic basis for their existence and NO kennel club in the world recognizes them. If they have been around forever, as the Weim-mutt people claim, then the color would be recognized and some of the great old breeders would have produced them by now. That is not the case.

Laura

Its really sad to because they are "silver lab breeders" around here and they try to sell their pups for $1000 or more! Thats more then quality bred black yellow and brown labs cost from a reputable breeder! I just cant get over it. It really does pay to do research on any dog breed you are considering on getting because I had no idea until I joined a lab forum and read a post about it and then started doing research. Just crazy.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Mt first beloved dog Bailey on her last day with us. Run free girl!
    You will always have a special place in my heart!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Luver_Furever View Post
    Its really sad to because they are "silver lab breeders" around here and they try to sell their pups for $1000 or more! Thats more then quality bred black yellow and brown labs cost from a reputable breeder! I just cant get over it. It really does pay to do research on any dog breed you are considering on getting because I had no idea until I joined a lab forum and read a post about it and then started doing research. Just crazy.
    Um, the reputable labrador breeders in Michigan average 1000$ a dog..the range is $900 to $1500.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

OK.. So you are saying they range from 900 to 1500.. 900 IS LESS THEN 1000.. So I dont really know why you even had to comment. Just trying to be a know it all jerk maybe? I guess you didnt understand the point I was trying to make. Whatever. Not to mention there are a couple great breeders around here with champion blood lines that you can get a pup starting around 700. NOT THAT IT REALLY MATTERS BC THIS WASNT THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE Have a nice day.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Mt first beloved dog Bailey on her last day with us. Run free girl!
    You will always have a special place in my heart!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Luver_Furever View Post
    OK.. So you are saying they range from 900 to 1500.. 900 IS LESS THEN 1000.. So I dont really know why you even had to comment. Just trying to be a know it all jerk maybe? I guess you didnt understand the point I was trying to make. Whatever. Not to mention there are a couple great breeders around here with champion blood lines that you can get a pup starting around 700. NOT THAT IT REALLY MATTERS BC THIS WASNT THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE Have a nice day.
    Is it just me or does it seem like many (not all) of the people that have joined the forum in the last month or so are drinking from the same fountain?

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem like many (not all) of the people that have joined the forum in the last month or so are drinking from the same fountain?
    Not just you.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast