Help! Question about my Lab's weird behavior

Thread: Help! Question about my Lab's weird behavior

Presley's Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! Question about my Lab's weird behavior

Hi Everyone,

I dont post often, but always come to you guys when I have an issue with Presley. A little background info: Presley is now 10 years old and a really sweet girl. She is our baby! For the last year now, whenever my husband and I are home together in the evening Presley wants to crawl up on my lap. It doesnt matter if we are at the dinner table or watching TV, she wants to climb up on me and me alone. I love her, but it is annoying and sometimes she scratches my legs, etc. She weights 70 lbs and I dont want her on my lap. Her and I are together during the day a lot and she never attempt this during the day. It is only in the evening and when both of us are home together. I push her away and I feel bad, but she keeps coming back and she seems anxious when she is exhibiting this behavior. She only gives up after several hours. She does this EVERY night regardless of her activity levels during the day. Sometimes I will get down on the floor on her level, but it doesnt matter. She will still try to sit on me.

Any idea what it is going on with her? The vet says she is fine; healthy, normal, etc. She is active during the day and is starting to swim again, which she loves. But I could set my watch by it. Tonight when we are relaxing and watching TV, she will start bugging me and get anxious. Thoughts?
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

No idea but if it makes you feel any better I have a 9 month old, 80 pounder that is positive he fits in my lap and tries at least once a day! He will finally settle by sitting next to me with his head on my lap or shoulder.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am not sure why she wants to be with her mama. She might not feel her best. At 10 she could have aches and pains you don't know about. Our Sophie wants her mama when she's under the weather or scared, or hurts herself. We lost our 12 yr old last May, and I would give anything to have her here to climb up on my lap. Maybe you just need to relax and enjoy having her with you, our fur kids' time is so short. Are you sitting next to your husband when she does this? She seems to be wanting your attention.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Presley's Mom is offline Junior Member

Well--I thought there might be something wrong with her, which is why we asked the vet about it. I also know that there will be a day that I will wish she was with us and miss her trying to climb on out me. I was just concerned that it seems uncharacteristic for her, but has been going on for about a year. She is a sweet baby. I guess she is just a needy pony!! I do pay a lot of attention to her during the day; power walks, I sing to her and call her funny names, I pet her a lot, etc. I have wondered if maybe she was jealous of my husband--which seemed odd because she is such a Daddy's Girl.

Thanks!!
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

kassabella is offline Senior Member

If Erns is jealous of anyone he will come between us or jump up behind me.
    Maybe she is just wanting to become closer as she matures. Erns is 10 and is becoming a velcro boy so maybe it is the age. I would love for them to sit on me. Maybe you can let her on the couch beside you and treat so it becomes a nightly routine and fun rather than demanding. This is the only time mine are allowed on the couch so it is special for all of us.
    Or perhaps distract her with a kong or something like that. When Erns gets tired he wants me to sit with him and sometimes I can't so give him an apple or kong.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I noticed that in the last year, Mitzi, 12, has become very clingy, more so than normal. Maybe it is something about getting older.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Now that you mention it, my Gordy has become a in-your-face dog too. He will be 10 this year. I push him off because I just don't like it but now I wonder too if it may be he is in pain and needs attention? He has arthritis bad in his hips. The vet never mention pain meds...maybe I should ask?

Good luck with your old girl. She sounds sweet.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous