Lillys's problem with Toenail clipping

Thread: Lillys's problem with Toenail clipping

firstlabellen is offline Senior Member

DefaultLillys's problem with Toenail clipping

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem clipping Lilly's toenails. When she was a puppy, she would let me clip them just fine, but as she's gotten older, she has decided she does not like it. She will not let me near her toenails with the clipper. I can handle her paws all I want to, if I do not have the toenail clippers. My son has helped me trim them the last couple of times, but today, no sir ree....Lilly was having none of it, even for a delicious treat. We just stopped trying because we were afraid we would damage her toenails. My old girl, Kate, doesn't like the clipping very much, but she tolerates it for a treat. Do any of you have any good tips on how to get Lilly let me trim her nails or am I better off getting them trimmed at the vet's?

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Ok, so you've done it before with no issue & can handle her paws all you want with no fuss -- that's half the battle! Did you cut the quick one time? Maybe if you didn't (it didn't bleed) you cut close enough that it bothered her?

I would suggest reintroducing the clippers but no nail trim session! Have her sit/lay down & give her lots of love & pats, bring the clippers over & just lay them by her feet while you give her treats. Just leave it like that, don't try to touch her with them, just bring them closeby.

Then after a few times of that, have them nearby then try to touch her paw with them (closed) on the fur, not the toenail, if she freaks, go back to step one. I think whatever spooked her you may need to take baby steps with getting her to realize the clippers & you mean no harm!

That's all I can suggest

firstlabellen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Ok, so you've done it before with no issue & can handle her paws all you want with no fuss -- that's half the battle! Did you cut the quick one time? Maybe if you didn't (it didn't bleed) you cut close enough that it bothered her?

I would suggest reintroducing the clippers but no nail trim session! Have her sit/lay down & give her lots of love & pats, bring the clippers over & just lay them by her feet while you give her treats. Just leave it like that, don't try to touch her with them, just bring them closeby.

Then after a few times of that, have them nearby then try to touch her paw with them (closed) on the fur, not the toenail, if she freaks, go back to step one. I think whatever spooked her you may need to take baby steps with getting her to realize the clippers & you mean no harm!

That's all I can suggest
    Thank you so much for your tips. I'll try those and see if Miss Lilly responds positively.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LucyTudeOn4Feet is offline Junior Member

Maybe she'd tolerate a dremel tool with the sanding drum (looks like a circular emery board) better. I switched to that & my 10 yr old tolerates it much better. She was becoming quite disgruntled over the trimmers.

chynasmom is offline Junior Member

My 8yr old has the same problem she hates getting her nails clipped so don't feel bad and my mom has tried when it is time because she loves my mom but nope we tried treats but no I think the older they get the more strong minded they get I think that is all dogs including my sisters bulldog and they want what they want no matter if it is not getting their nails clipped at that time or if they get picky about what food they want like a certain sweet lab I have sleeping right beside me.
    CHYNA ROCKS

bett is offline Senior Member

i have one that the vet can't do without sedating. so, he gave me the pills, and i got a dremel.
    it's still not fun or easy but we do it. notice, i said "we". it's not a job for one, even drugged.
    (the dog, not me)

Dani is offline Senior Member

I personally never give them the option of being temperamental. I put them on their backs upside down between my legs so I can see the quick and clip away. They stay there until I'm done. Do I get a paw jerk every once and awhile? Yes. But see, I'm the alpha, and what I say goes. When it's clip time, it's clip time.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Fanny didn't like it and would snatch her paw away every few nails but she knew it was going to happen no matter what so martyred on the whole time. (The 'She's beating me' look).

Eddie, well, Eddie doesn't like any foot touching at all. But, what Mum wants Mum gets and so he suffers. He pulls his paw away every nail! But I just talk to him and get them done, I am up to 3 feet in one sitting. Yay for me! It has taken me 7 years to get to that point, BTW. I don't want to stress him out completely but he has to know who is boss and that would me - not him Talking of which is time for a nail trim......................oh boy.................

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I'm with Dani. There's no choice.

I do nails twice a week and they are all great. Nola tries to do the 'Not today' bull and has never gotten away with it.

You can try sitting on the floor with a small bit of treats and get her to lay down to have her nails done. Some find that easy.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola