My (almost) 1 yr old Lab, loves other dogs...plays too rough??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My (almost) 1 yr old Lab, loves other dogs...plays too rough??

JRae89 is offline Junior Member

UnhappyMy (almost) 1 yr old Lab, loves other dogs...plays too rough??

Hello =)

I have a Black Lab named Dozer, he is 1 on the 27th of this month =) He's smart, playful and listens very well....just not around other dogs, and that's the frustrating part! I know he's still a puppy and he's still learning but it's so frustrating. Around other dogs it's like he totally fixates on them and doesn't listen to a word I say. It's not as though he never sees other dogs, both mine and my boyfriends parents live on a farm with dogs, although my parents dog is an old Great Pyranees and can NOT STAND Dozer... he constantly tries to lay with her and graps onto her neck all the time... she growls and kinda snaps at him but he does NOT quit... and it's as though me bein outside with them makes him worse. I feel so bad for her when Dozer just won't quit bugging her. Also I have a friend who has a Basset Hound and she's a bit younger than Dozer by about 3 months, when she comes over it's like dogs gone wild!! Dozer fixates on her and WILL NOT let her be... it's like he forgets the simple commands in which he does very well any other time...to get him to sit or lay down is painful and i have to grab him to get his attention. And when he plays with her they play rough! Dozer will grab onto her poor long ears and pull...or grab her by her neck....he's not being vicious but she still yelps sometimes. Anyways, he is my first dog and I can't complain too much about anything else... he's great! So any tips or ideas to try? I'm desperate... I would like one day for our dogs to learn just to play and hang-out without us constantly stopping them from hurting one another. Help? lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

First of all your dog is not being mean, that is normal puppy play. If you have not done so yet I would definitely enroll in a series of obedience classes with your puppy to improve his concentration on you and help with his socialization skills. Teaching him to pay attention to you, regardless of the distraction is very important and could save your dogs life someday. You will need to practice, practice, practice this skill with him! Work on obtaining your CGC designation with Dozer or just regular obedience classes, whatever! Just keep in mind if you have not had him in classes and practiced this skill with him constantly he will have a hard time outgrowing it! Good luck!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-21-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Mine was exactly the same way. He loved a good neck grab!
    For us, part of it was practice. He is much better now at listening to me regardless of what is going on.
    The other part has just been age. As he's gotten older (he's just 2) he's become less interested in that type of play. He still wants to play, but no longer has any patience for the dogs that really want to play rough or get in his face.
    If your pooch likes to retrieve, sometimes you can throw a few balls to distract him from the crazy playing. Mine doesn't have that much of a ball drive, but it still works occasionally.
    The other thing I found helpful was to exercise the dog a bit before meeting up the 2nd dog. It helped take the edge off the energy and excitement.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds normal to me. I think you should be separating him from the elderly Great Pyr as she is not enjoying interacting with him, but unless the younger dog is actually being injured or is trying to avoid him - stay out of the play and let them get rough and wild. To the inexperienced owner, dog play can sound viscious when it's just play. If your dog backs off when the other one yelps, he is listening to her communication. If he does not, then he may have a socialization issue.

I do agree with obedience training. It will help you learn a lot about training your dog AND be good for him socially. Just be careful to select a trainer who uses positive training methods.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I'm not so sure there are Obedience classes offered in my town? It's a small town not much around lol But yeah, I dont think he's being mean it's just poor Lizzy's (The Basset Hound) ears! lol I guess I'm probably just afraid it will get too rough and Lizzy will get hurt! I might be asking too much from him at this time too cus they have only met/payed 3 times and this last time I did just come home from work so he was excited already. I think I will try tiring him out before out next encounter with Lizzy! And I did try throwing his Frisbee and he would retrieve it but when Lizzy made a motion to chase it he focused back on her =( Thank you for the ideas and replies!! I'm no expert at dog training!! lol first-time dog owner here =)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Remember also that these dogs need a lot of regular exercise. And tired dog always equals good dog. Many behavioral issues with Labs stem from lack of exercise.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Yes, I really do try! Everyday(except the odd day we just can't make time)He goes for walks and/or we go across the street to a field where we play Frisbee and he LOVES chasing the frisbee but after a while all he want to do is lay down and chew on it =( We also have a decent sized fenced yard he has free reign of. I would like him to stop wanting to chew on his Frisbee though...

My goal is to increase the amount of exercise, especially now cus the snow is FINALLY gone and it's going to be nice out =)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Exercise and socialization. I would find a few dogs that are good at showing other dogs the ropes - by correcting sternly (but not aggressively) to show him what appropriate play is. Also, the more you can get him to interact with other dogs the better - if he only gets to see other dogs once in awhile (and touch them) he will be ramped up at the novelty of the other dog making it harder.
    You also need to train for distractions. once a dog knows commands with no, then limited, distractions you need to PRACTICE with increasing levels of distractions.

and dogs need exercise no matter the weather - i just spent an hour outside in the rain as my trio NEEDS exercise, rain or shine. I have been known to go for hour long walks in -40 degree weather (celcius). Get appropriate clothing and get out there!

Definitely research if there are training classes nearby - you never know.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh and also - labs need MENTAL challenges, keep their brain tired not just their body. Teaching new tricks, interactve toys, interactive games are all good for this
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

This sounds like both of my friends dogs. They are about the same age. A Lab sized mutt (female) and a choco Lab (male). They play so intense and don´t pay any attention to us while we ride our mountain bikes. I think you need to set them boundaries. It is ok to socialize (and actually it would be better if you could find him a friend with his same energy and size), but then they also need to learn that when you say enough, its ENOUGH. I wouldn´t let him torture the older dog.

If you find a suitable play pal let them play together and free but then call them, make them stop and take them on a leashed walk together so they can also learn to be calm around each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast