Happy 2nd Birthday Newton - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy 2nd Birthday Newton

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Newton is our Yellow lab. I have to still contact our vet to see the plan of action. Our vet isn't the one who did the xrays. I haven't gotten over the initial shock yet, so haven't called our vet. I guess I fear what the options are. I don't want him to suffer. That is the most important thing right now. He doesn't show any signs of pain, yet, maybe he is in pain, and don't show it. I have contacted his breeder to at least let her know what is going on. Really not much she can do, but wanted to at least give her a heads up. You try and do everything right. I thought we did it right with Newton. Went to a good breeder, necessary tests were done, didn't over work him, never jumped in and out of the truck, fed him a good diet. Gave him lots of love, and we still lost. I just don't know where we went wrong. You get so attached to them, and want what is best for them. They become family. I don't know how many more tears I can cry over this. I have 3 young children at home, including a son with Aspergers. Newt is his best friend. I can't allow him to suffer, for Trevor's sake. It will kill this boy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I just don't know where we went wrong.
    You didn't! Don't beat yourself up. Prayers and good thoughts for you, Newt and your family.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

There's nothing you did wrong. Sometime life just kicks you in the berries.

Aspergers kids are so empathetic, and I am sure that your son will be Newt's best friend regardless of his HD.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I really really feel for you. I´ve been there two times... first one with Brownie who had bi-lateral HD and now Homer with his ED...
    Don´t mean to make you feel worse but the X-rays look bad, there´s a lot of space between the femur head and the hip bone, and the hip ball is beggining to flatten out. You have a very young dog and the hip surgeries have advanced a ton from 10 years ago when I went through this Brownie (she was too old to be a good candidate). If I were you I would really take a look at doing the surgery. The conservative methods are just pain paliatives, they help yes, but don´t stop the deterioration. Make sure to keep your dogs rear strong and well muscled because strong muscles help them a lot to cope with the joint problems. No running or jumping, but walks and swimming.

If it makes you feel good, Brownie lived to 12 years old and it was not HD that made me make the decision to PTS.

In my case Homer´s ED has been even worse than Brownie´s HD. He already had surgery but it doesn´t fix the problem completely. He´s been having a hard time lately (he´s only 3 years old) and it truly affects our lives (I´m a very active sporty type of person, I used to run, take them with me mountain biking, played a lot fetching, etc.). Vermont the Collie and Misha don´t get all the exercise they should because I just can´t leave homer behind, so we all slow down for him. He can´t play rough anymore with the other two...

I also have nephew with Aspergers, he´s now 16 years old and he´s an amazing boy.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry to hear about the condition, but hopefully Newton is still pain free and able to enjoy his 2nd birthday

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Happy Birthday, Newton.

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Happy Birthday Newton!

Sorry to hear about the HD. Harvey was diagnosed with bilateral ED just before his 2nd birthday. I never planned to breed from him or show him, but it still broke my heart. We discussed the options with the vet, and later an orthopedic surgeon. He had the surgery and is doing extremely well. It wasn't the life sentence I thought it was going to be, i dont have a 'lame dog', we just have to do some things a little bit differently. He is on a constant diet to keep him 'trim'. Most of his walks are on the lead, particularly when other dogs are around (he likes to 'bounce' when he plays with other dogs), he isnt allowed to go up or downstairs, but other than that, everything else has remained the same. His life expectancy is that of a 'fit' lab, but he may need medication later in life if he is in pain. He will be 4 this week, no pain since the op and doing very well. I know, it is a shock, but don't lose heart. If Harvey could talk, i think he would tell you that he is very happy with life, but wished mom would give him more food

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Kisses for the Birthday Boy!!! I am so sorry to hear about the CHD.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

Happy Birthday Newton! We are adding our prayers too. I am glad he is not showing any signs of pain yet.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Happy birthday Newton

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast