This is why Baxter drives me crazy!

Thread: This is why Baxter drives me crazy!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis is why Baxter drives me crazy!

For those of you who are parents - ever have one of those smart, funny, good-looking kids that everything is just more a struggle with? Everything turns into a little - you want me to do this? I might, but I'll do it in my own way and my own time. I've been trying to train the dogs more regularly, one on one- alot of the times I "cheat" and do their training in the house, together. They need one on one outside, so I start with Baxter and make Emilu stay inside. The Baxter stays inside and Emilu goes outside with me. It took 2NIGHTS! for Baxter to figure out what was going on, and he refused to come into the house after we finished training last night. We had finished with some off leash jumping, so I just took my treats, had him do a few more things , put his leash on and headed to the house - nope! not going. He backed up and I thought - oh no! I am not going to do "tug" with the leash and Baxter - didn't matter because he managed to pull the leash out of my hands and start running around the yard. I got the treats again and called him front, which he did.This time I took his collar and we "collar-walked" to the house - but even then, when I had to open the door, keep Emilu from coming out and get Baxter in, he almost slipped out of his collar. He simply wasn't going to go into the house and have to stay there while I trained Emilu outside. I got him in, told him to "stay" which he actually did while I got Emilu out the door. But what a struggle! I can't believe it took such a short time for him to figure this out and refuse to come in. Emilu might not want to do something that I tell her to, but she has never just refused. Baxter - you drive me crazy !

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

He is too smart for his own good! Why don't you try taking Emilu outside first and then you won't have to fight to bring him in. I'd try that.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    For those of you who are parents - ever have one of those smart, funny, good-looking kids that everything is just more a struggle with? Everything turns into a little - you want me to do this? I might, but I'll do it in my own way and my own time...
    Hey- I didn't know you were training Caleb! LOL Don't you just love "out thinking" a dog?

I assume you're going to mix up the training order now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Are we talking 4 legged or 2 legged?

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I can relate very well to this circus performance.

Seamus and Flynn

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I have one like that and, sorry to say, it doesn't get better. I believe that independent attitude is just part of the personality. Good thing you love him so much.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Smarty pants indeed !

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

We have 2 teenage dogs in our mountain biking group, a mutt and a chocolate lab that are like that. The worse is that their owners are terrible for controlling them (they just want to play "annoying" bitey ALL the time and would not stop, would not listen, will never come when called). Smarty pants...

But I´d rather have a smarty pants dog than a dumb one... My dumb Vermont was afraid of stairs when I got him (I´m sure he fell of some stairs while at the breeders because he has a phobia). I taught him to climb up and down with treats, he learned... that was back in december.

Two weeks ago I made the dumb decision to start training him sit, stay and down right by the stairs.... guess what? This dumb dog immediately remembered that he had a phobia of the stairs and its now a total PITA to get him to climb up and down the stairs... I swear I had never seen something like this, NEVER on any of my four Labs... Collies were supposed to be smart... He knows perfectly how to do it (and of course he´s now a giant dog so a small step is nothing).

Temperament wise, I wish he was more Lab like...

patm is offline Senior Member

My first thought was of course to change the training order, and I might - but then, I felt a little bullheaded myself and I might just be better prepared this time to make sure he goes back into the house when I want him to. He needs to know that "I" am in control and he needs to do what I say. I think he needs a firmer hand than I have been giving him - he is such a toad, but I do love him so much - when he is good, he is quite adorable