Bentley was bit....again

Thread: Bentley was bit....again

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultBentley was bit....again

This time it was a sheltie . i don't know what it is about these little dogs. This happened at 4-H tonight. It was end of class and I was going up with my friend to get some papers and put my name tag up. Bentley was in a heel and I was looking at him telling him good boy. Then a little girl walking a Sheltie past us. The Sheltie turned and bit Bentley right on the muzzle. I pulled him right back to me and the kid just walked off. My friend and I were just in shock and then we checked his muzzle and he seemed fine. he was back to himself looking at me like "do I get my treat now?". There were almost 2 fights tonight(there was a little dog walking behind a GSD and then the little dog would get started and the gsd would start and it was a mess. Then the little dog was moved since they thought it was the GSD's fault and then the little dog went after another dog!!) and then that happened with bentley and the sheltie. I was in a hurry and forgot to say something to the instructor but if I remember I will bring it up next class. I hope bentley doesn't see it negative to go to class but since he seemed fine afterwards i don't think it will. he was attacked by a pom mix over summer then nipped on the ankle by a chi then nipped by the Sheltie. bent just has bad luck with little dogs I guess. I think I will stick with waiting till after everyone left to turn my name tag in!
    Last edited by deidra; 04-17-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I feel for you - if your big dog bit a smaller dog you can bet there would be a huge stink raised, but little dogs get away with murder. Be careful though - I really think the Emilu became dog reactive when I started to show her and a "little dog" starting growling at her and challenging her - she was never the same after that and became suspicious of all small, hairy dogs. It took forever to get her straightened out.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Pat 100%, if it had been a big dog attacking a little dog there would be some reaction. Bauer was attacked by a couple of Boston terriers, and since then is scared to death of little dogs. Honestly, I don't know what to do so we just avoid them if possible. We saw a Boston terrier on our run yesterday and when the owner asked if Bauer was friendly, i told her "no" and kept on running. It isn't a good approach, by it works for now. Please talk to your instructor about it and let us know what he/she says.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I will talk to my instructor about it. I will make sure also I am placed between the same dogs(my friends dog and a beagle) because I think it will be safe. Plus it helps Bentley stay calm.

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Poor Bentley...that really sucks! Glad to hear it didn't draw any blood...but still, how scary!

Rukus was bitten by an unsupervised greyhound at the dog park a few years ago. The dog just trotted out to "greet" us when we arrived, and then bit Ruk in the ear and pierced it all the way through. There was another woman nearby that saw the whole thing...I had to ask her to go up to the group or people in the park and ask whose dog it was (the owner was just chatting with people and paying absolutely NO attention to where her dog was or what it was doing). It still makes me mad to think about it!!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I had a GSD that was bitten by my Aunt's Chi when she was a puppy. After that she was terrified of little bitty dogs, and it was rather humiliating to be out on a walk with this big GSD and have it try to climb up on your shoulders because someone's tiny little yapper came running out into the yard!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

The only dogs that have ever gone after Diesel to hurt him have been the little ankle biters. Well, except for a Pointer once. Poor Diesel thought he was playing with him & suddenly the Pointer had toy aggression. The worst was a Scottie that actually got his teeth on him, Diesel froze & shook while I screamed in my loudest, burliest voice at the Scottie. If he hadn't been freaked by my scream & let go, he would have been set sailing back to his yard by my foot. Luckily no broken skin/blood. We avoid small dogs whenever we can.

Gosh I can't believe little dogs get away with SO much! I know they can't inflict much damage sometimes but a bite is a bite.