Would it help Bentley focus on me to....

Thread: Would it help Bentley focus on me to....

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultWould it help Bentley focus on me to....

Take him to OBEd.Class of 4-H about 10 minutes before class starts? We practive in the show arena at the fair grounds so there are a lot of smells and distractions. Since there are also other dogs he has trouble staying focused on me. Think it would help? Sorry ofr mis-spelaed words..I broke my glasses in PE and I cant see anything!

Edit: Soory that was blunt bell rang as I was typing. Anyway, I usually get there about 3 minutes before class starts so Bentlley is all hyped up and not really wanting to focus on me. He is constantly looking at the dog behind us....last week he even barked at the dog(not aggressive just wanted to say hi) He has everything down pact when we go(I do practive all week and then before we go) but once we get to class.....it vanishes! My mom and I think it will help him stay focused if he goes earlier so he can sniff and meet other dogs then and get used to all the people. Last week though someone brough food for there baby(it was those gerber life cookie things) and everytime we went passsed he would drag me towards them. Then of course for the one minute sit we were by them so it was more like 5 sec. sits! So would going earlier help him? Any tips on how to keep him focused?
    Last edited by deidra; 04-17-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Keep high value treats in your pocket. At random times, slip him a little treat, so he never knows exactly when he will get one. His attention will be on you.
    (Hope you get your glasses fixed soon.)

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I always try and get to class at least a 1/2 hour early, if not more. Train your "watch/ready" command during that time.

Personally, since this is training time I would not allow him to socialize with other dogs, he must be focused on you and before class is a perfect time to work on that, on your own terms. Bentley must understand that during training and competition times, he must ignore other dogs, people and whatever else might arise. Before class you can customize your training, during class you are constrained to what the instructor has in mind for the class.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Okay,thanks. Tonight I made sure to place myself between two older/calmer dogs. It was a beagle and my friends basset hound. He was a lot better than he is between two younger dogs. I also brought a treat with me. It helped a lot. I didn't give it to him but would show him and he would do what I said for him to do. Bentley is a very "talkative" dog though.. I would tell him down and the whole time he is grunting. Then if I would tell him down and he didn't want to he would bark and look at me like I am stupid. So I would say firmly "Bentley DOWN!!" and he did it(complaining of course). After class he got his treat(I think I am going to bring a ball with me so after class I can play a little fetch with him). I did let him sniff Flushy though because Flushy got in his face and if I would have pulled him back I didn't want flushy nipping or Bentley nipping. he was bit after class though I hope it doesn't make it negative for him. There was also about 2 fights in class today!!! I dont know what was up with the dogs.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.