Older Lab Question

Thread: Older Lab Question

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultOlder Lab Question

So Clancey is getting up there, but is still in pretty good shape (per the vet)

Lately he has started to yip...... quite high pitch, when he is not moving (ie lying down on his blankey) and he is 100% awake (not dreaming)

Was going through the senior sections, but didn't see anything that hit on this.

It last maybe a minute or 2, and I don't believe he is in pain, as he gets up and starts walking around without a limp etc...

Wondering could it be apprehension ?

I know his sight is going, and the only common element I seem to have is either myself or SU has not been visible in the past 1/2 hour - or late at night when dark?

Any other ideas and or remedies ?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Could he be trying to tell you something? My senior has become super vocal. He won't go out potty with the rest of the dogs, but LORD, if when he's ready, he will WHINE until you get you butt out of bed and take him out.

firstlabellen is offline Senior Member

My vet told me older dogs can get dementia just like us humans. This causes them to do strange things sometimes. My Kate, who is 12 years, has started the shrill barking at times, especially if she wants in the house. This may be because she has lost her hearing within the last year. Also, sometimes, she wants to stay in her chair at bedtime instead of coming to her bed in my bedroom. When I allow her to do that, she will wake me in the night with one shrill bark. She is confused and thinks she can't get down off the chair in the dark. I have to go and get her down from the chair and bring her to the bedroom. I have noticed several odd things, especially within the last year. She is "My Dear Old Woman" now and I try to be as patient as I can with her. I know her time with me is limited and it saddens my heart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

This seems to be something that most oldsters do. Shanny has become even more vocal as a senior. They're trying to get your attention for whatever reason; either to go out, eat, or wondering where you might be. If Clancey's not asking to go out or eat, then usually just reassuring him that you're around might help.

Laura

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Interesting. Nellie has gotten more vocal as she ages. I was wondering about that.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Thanks all, it's reassurring to know others see the same things occuring .

Gotta love the old dears, they continue to teach us knew tricks. !

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Indy used to chatter up a storm as he got older, always bossing me around. His were always, "lift me up, help me down, let me out, I need a snack, or where are ya mom, etc.".

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).