very furious about breeder!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very furious about breeder!

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Defaultvery furious about breeder!

Before I bring Cassie home, I was looking for breeders. A colleague of mine told me about his breeder that is a good breeder and he is happy with him. The breeder is also a K9 trainer for the Police dogs here. So I thought he would be a good one.

After bringing Cassie home and found this forum it is then when I realized of the 2 biggest mistakes he did for me and for my puppy.

The first big mistake is that he gave me Cassie when she was 34 days old. I knew that I shouldn't have taken her before she was at least 45 days old, minimum. When he called me and told me that I can go and take her he told me that it's ok to take her because she was on dry food already!! Imagine this! If she was 34 days old and she was already on dry food when did the little poor dog stopped breastfeed?? That's why she kept biting me all the time. And when I called him to ask him what to do he told me to fold a newspaper and hit her on the mouth. But I couldn't do that to her.

The 2nd mistake he didn't advice me about housebraking. He didn't have a clue about crating. He told me to have the soft pads so she can pee. She never did anyway. Then when she grew up and eating the soft pads I called him for advice and told me to make a custom wooden frame and fill it with sand or soil!! After this I did a search and I found this forum and learned about crating.

I am very furious about this guy. And I feel sorry about my dog that was separated from his mother so soon! I just didn't know ...but now I know much more, thanx to you guys.

P.S. Did I mentioned that I am furious about the so called breeder and so called K9 trainer?? Sob - pardon my french!

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Well, if that is Cassie in your picture she is lovely. It's not too late to start proper training with her. Forget the breeder... get Cass started on a good course. It's up to you to shape her life now. And have fun!

Seamus and Flynn

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Just calling oneself a "breeder" and producing a litter of puppies does not make someone knowledgeable about breeding or the appropriate care and development of puppies. You, like many learned that the hard way.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you have to deal with all this, but this is why you should do your research BEFORE you purchase a puppy. If you had, you would have seen articles on the Internet which would have guided you on when to take your puppy home, etc. and other issues pertaining to buying a puppy. Google is your friend.

Laura

Tanya is offline Senior Member

The breeder isn't really completely at fault here. You didn't do your research prior to getting the dog. You didn't do a full research on how to pick a breeder (going with a single reference, not reading up on what makes a good breeder) and you didn't research training techniques or talk to people about house training, again taking a single recommendation. The breeder made errors but you didn't do the research and made a lot of assumptions.

Live and learn. You know better now and in the future will hopefully make more informed decision - and continue to add to your knowledge and experience. Take it as a lesson learned and move forward with your beautiful pup. Read as many books and ideas on training and dogs as you can so you can learn to see what works (never just read one theory and assume it is the be all and end all of training).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Yes, Cassie is the one on the photo. I also bought a book about Labradors Retriever.

But as a breeder and a trainer he should have known the 2 most important things and tell them to me regardless if I know them or not.

Anyway, Cassie is doing great, she learns easily and she is very clever. When she sleeps on the couch she has to be over my laps or her paw touching my leg, otherwise she won't sleep. She's adorable.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    Yes, Cassie is the one on the photo. I also bought a book about Labradors Retriever.

But as a breeder and a trainer he should have known the 2 most important things and tell them to me regardless if I know them or not.

Anyway, Cassie is doing great, she learns easily and she is very clever. When she sleeps on the couch she has to be over my laps or her paw touching my leg, otherwise she won't sleep. She's adorable.

but who said he was a GOOD breeder or a GOOD trainer? there are really bad breeders that have "lots of experience" and lots of bad trainers out there.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Customer is king. Why did you take the puppy that young? You had the right to refuse, didn't you?

Sorry to sound blunt, but people need to look themselves in the mirror when things go sideways. Is it always someone elses' fault? Not everyone's opinions on what makes a good trainer, breeder or whatever is based on teh same facts. There are PLENTY of highly revered breeder/show people out there who I'd not consider working with because of differences in values. For instance, I'm a stickler on seeing final clearances (for several generations). Others have no problem w/ buying a pup w/ a 10 mo old daddy. I personally think it's nuts and won't refer folks to those litters, but that's me. Decide your Risk vs Benefit comfort levels and go with it. Don't complain if things don't turn out quite the way you were hoping.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Even though you dealt with an idiot who called himself a "breeder" and you did not do much reseaech you have done a really good job of asking questions and learning as much as you can. I know you are not in the US and many countries have much differnt ideas of when puppies can leave their mom and littermates. 5 weeks is really young but what is done is done, puppies are usually eating solid food by 5 weeks and often even weaned. (If you think those puppy teeth hurt you imagine poor mama!!). Now you know and hopefully will never make the same mistake. I commend you for doing the best you can to learn and give your puppy the best life you can. Keep reading and asking questions to learn all you can! I think you are doing a good job!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

I knew that I should have taken her after she stopped breastfeed and since he told me that she was already on dry food I said what's the difference if I take her now or later. But what I didn't know then is that the puppy still learns from her mom some stuff.

I also blame my self because I didn't do a thorough search. Well, now I know for next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast