Is this a Lab puppy??? Thoughts?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a Lab puppy??? Thoughts?

d0gl0ver is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs this a Lab puppy??? Thoughts?

Last week I adopted a 5 week old so called white German Shepherd from the Houston SPCA. I am not very familiar with German Shepherds, but I had my doubts that this indeed was a Shepherd. In my opinion, she looks more like a yellow lab, but I'm not familiar with lab puppies either so just a guess :? I took her to the vet, and she thinks the snout and coat are not that of a lab, and we will just have to wait and see as she gets older. Poor baby was only 4/5 weeks when she got spade! Is it just me, or is that insanely young? Her incision is not doing well either, it's not healing properly. I can see some raw skin, almost like its opening up again, and pushing out from the inside. Took her to the vet, but neither the SPCA or my vet seem to be worried about it. I managed to convince my vet to give me some antibiotics for it though.

I'm going to attempt to attach some pictures. Please let me know your thoughts! If you see any traits or characteristics of a Lab, or any other breed for that matter. She's such a sweet little girl! Thanks for your thoughts! Any suggestions on puppy training is welcome too! It's been a while since I've had a baby

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

What a cutie! She looks lab like to me... maybe a mix?
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

She looks a lot like a lab, maybe lab mix.
    I'm shocked that the shelter let her go so young. Do you know if she was in with mom and litter-mates?
    By the way, she's really adorable!
    Hope she heals up quickly.

Bella

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Looks like a Lab mix. Is that a flea collar on her? IMO - she is too young for pesticides. She is SO young to have been separated from the litter - did something happen to her mother?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Definitely looks like a lab or lab mix to me! Whatever she is, she sure is a cutie! The neutering a 4/5 weeks is so young. I understand the position of shelters but that young? That makes no sense to me, but that is just my opinion. Good luck with your new little one, I hope you have many happy years together.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh, possibly some other breed in there but I see mostly Lab. Love the little dip of pale on the tip of her tail! She appears charming and has a lovely face.

Seamus and Flynn

d0gl0ver is offline Junior Member

Thanks yall, she is a cutie and a sweetheart! No, it's not a flea collar. It was just the collar that the SPCA put on her with a number, to tell her and her litter mates apart. Not much information was given to me about her other than the litter of puppies was an owner surrender. I assumed that I would be returning for her when she was at least 8 weeks old, but they told me to take her immediately. I agree that it was to young to separate her from the litter, but her brother and sister were taken just shortly after, so she wouldn't have had anyone. Now I'm dealing with the consequences of a puppy that doesn't realize how painful her bite is, because she didn't have the chance to experience it with her litter. I'm just wondering if they told me German Shepherd because they saw the mother, or if it was just a random guess.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Well, thank you for taking her in & coming here to ask questions. Though I am shocked that an organization like the SPCA could be so negligent/ignorant. She looks more Lab than Shep, either way she is a cutie! Hope she heals up ok. Keep us posted on her progress.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

probably a mix of their "guess" and what the owner "said". possibly one of the parents was part shepherd but the pup looks labby (though harder to say at that age). Definitely look into things like puppy kindergarden to improve her socialization and be patient with her as some things may take longer given she is younger (like the not biting thing)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

bett is offline Senior Member

Looks like lab or lab mix to me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast