Finding the perfect breeder
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding the perfect breeder

elle.burns is offline Senior Member

DefaultFinding the perfect breeder

So after months or research I think I've finally found the right choc lab breeder for me..
    I wondered if anyone from Australia had heard of them..libellen Labradors in port macquarrie, she's a small kennel of 4 bitches two yellow two chocs they're beautiful dogs, she has small children who are involved with the pups from a young age which I like and most importantly spying can tell she adores her dogs
    The only thing that worries me is I live 6 hour drive away from her so I wouldn't be able to go and visit beforehand to choose my pup, also I am required to pay a deposit to secure a pup of my choice $700
    What do you guys think of this?. I really like this breeder I get a nice vibe from her I just wanna make sure I'm going about it the right way,
    Pups come with full pedigree full Heath screening papers etc.

The more people I meet, The more I like my dog...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

While being able to visit the breeder before hand is nice, and ideal, do not let not being able to do so stop you. Many breeders want to pick the pup for the buyer. The breeder has been with the pups for eight weeks, and has hopefully questioned you as to what kind of pup you want, and what you wish to do with the pup. The deposit is also typical, and indicates your seriousness in taking a pup. $700.00 seems a bit steep, depending on what the money conversion is.

I know nothing about the breeder (have not looked to see if there is a web site), so I can not speak as to whether or not they are good, ethical breeders or not

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

deidra is offline Senior Member

I looked at there Website and i don't see where they say they do Health clearances on there dogs or not or if they do any venue with them. Do you know if they do? They do have some cute dogs though . This is them right? Home - Libellenlabs
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The pup is $1400 total price AUD so it's half of the total price deposit
    Yes I had to fill out a 2 page questionaire about me my past dogs my yard house etc
    They have a website and a Facebook which I've befriended a lot of the past buyers are still in contact and some of them even get the breeder to puppysit their dogs when they go away on holiday, not that I'd do that but I think it's nice thy keep in touch
    Thanks for ur help

Garth is offline Registered Users

What if you & the breeder linked up on skype? That way you could observe the pups & get a bit of a feel as to which one has the temperament that suits you?

Does she have a litter now or is she expecting to have pups soon? I haven't heard of her but I don't show or mix with Lab people except the ones on here so I'm no help. From what you describe of her - getting buyers to fill in questionnaires, the deposit, raising pups around the kids etc, she sounds like a responsible breeder.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    What if you & the breeder linked up on skype? That way you could observe the pups & get a bit of a feel as to which one has the temperament that suits you?

Does she have a litter now or is she expecting to have pups soon? I haven't heard of her but I don't show or mix with Lab people except the ones on here so I'm no help. From what you describe of her - getting buyers to fill in questionnaires, the deposit, raising pups around the kids etc, she sounds like a responsible breeder.

Good luck!
    She has a litter due on the 1st of may

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    I looked at there Website and i don't see where they say they do Health clearances on there dogs or not or if they do any venue with them. Do you know if they do? They do have some cute dogs though . This is them right? Home - Libellenlabs
    Yes that's them I can't see it either, although she said in an email to me,"Both Summer and Obi come from great bloodlines and have hip/elbow scores that are below the breed average."
    What should I do? Ask her to see the hip and elbow scores?

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I do not see any evidence of health clearances, so yes, I would insist on on documentation of them. Also, no evidence that the dogs have proven themselves in the show ring or in a performance venue. (So why are they being bred, and how are they improving on the breed?)
    Last edited by Belles mom; 04-11-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Good breeders strive to better their breed. They will do the necessary health testing (different for each breed) on their dogs, be titled in their applied sport/area and or the show ring. They will adhere to their breed clubs breed standards towards structure, color, coat, etc. If they are not doing this, I would look else where.

You can not put a price tag on a quality bred dog. Period.

Even if you have no intention of having anything other than a pet, please make sure that your puppy comes from someone dedicated to this breed that shows their dedication by producing puppies with ALL the proper health testing done on the dogs, at least attempting the breed ring/field trials and proper coat/color. It is possible to get lucky and get a dog without health/behavior issues from someone that is simply putting two dogs together. But not likely. And you are supporting a less than "superior" breeder.

Good luck in your search.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If these dogs are just pets (i.e. the breeders do nto show them in fonformation, perform in field or hunt trials, obedience) then I cannot imagine paying that much, seems liek a rip off. what justifies the price? Even doign hips and elbows (and yes, SEE PROOF!) doesn't justify such a price. I guess it depends on the market.

What about eyes? Any clearances on those?

Do they breed to their own dogs? if so why? What makes the two they are breeding teh right match?

Search teh breed club for your country to see what ethical breeders should do:
    Labrador Retriever Club of Victoria Inc - Australia
    http://www.labradorclubofwa.com/
    salabclub.com.au - Home

There seems to be A LOT more testing done in the US and Canada than your area but I guess you have to compare with the local standards.

This site seems to have more info on what to look for: salabclub.com.au - Buying a Pup
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast