HK update / relapse / looking for suggestions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK update / relapse / looking for suggestions.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHK update / relapse / looking for suggestions.

HK was effectively on bedrest for 3 weeks to rest what was diagnosed by vet partial tear to CCL in her left knee. She was on Corprofen for the first 2 weeks.

At the two week mark, she went under for a dental cleaning, the opportunity was taken to shoot a couple xrays of both knees (for comparison) and an ortho vet was aailable to examine and manipulate the knee while she was anesthesized. Conclusion, no movement detectable, knees compared well. Still probably a partial tear and eventually will require surgery when she completes the job.

Last Wednesday she was given the all clear to run. I waited another day, and gave her some freedom. Everything went well, and Thursday and Friday. I still was not throwning anything for retrieves, but she took a couple runs on her own without negative indications.

Then Saturday morning we wnt for a walk by the river. She was excited as soon as she realized where we were going. She had a blast, running along the river, up and down the bank. There were no other dogs around, the activity was all self initiated by her. Everything went well, no indication of pain or discomfort. We got home, she laid down to take a nap. An hour later she got up, and crap. Limp, three legged dog walk, no weight on that leg. Immediately gave her a Carprofen, and we were headed back to bedrest until I can get in touch with the vet on Monday. That is the bad news.

This morning, she got up, did her normal stretching and came right to me, no limp, no indication of injury. Her total behavior is normal happy Hershey. This doesn't make sense to me for what I envision a torn ligament should present itself like. Could this be a muscle sprain? It seems to me that is much closer to matching with her presentation.

Just looking for thoughts, and wishing the damn animal could talk.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

no advice as I thankfully have not felt with that but I am sending some doggie prayers your way.

~Reahven & Drake~
    Never knew how much fun a lab would be until I owned one. Can't imagine my life without them.

labby is offline Senior Member

If the ortho vet couldn't feel any drawer movement, then this latest *might* not be the same.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Labby,

The Ortho couldn't detect any drawer movement and that was while she was under anesthesia. The rapid improvement from this episode yesterday is what has me thinking, hoping, positive. Going to have to watch her carefully. I do believe that there is surgery in the future, I just don't know if I am talking days, weeks, months, years?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

No experience with that type of injury, but after a two week rest, wouldn't it be wise to bring her back to activity slowly. Instead of letting her run, walk her a little more each day, watching for any signs of limping, and slowly work up to a run. They love to run and play, it's hard to deny them. They get so excited playing, they will run on pain. When Judy was young, she ran on a broken toe, then limp after resting.

In hindsight, you are absolutely right. I thought two days in semi-controlled build up was enough to prove to me that she was ready. Hmmm! Not at smart as you thought you were, Genius. I guess I should get confined for a couple weeks. My problem is that when she is confined, I am confined.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am hoping the latest is just a muscle strain. No experience with that type of injury. Good thoughts that she continues to improve.

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Going with Georgie's point about muscle strain...it's possible she was just a bit stiff. If you had been on 'bed rest' for 3 weeks and then ran, I'm sure you'd feel it...! Sending HK positive thoughts that that's all it is!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have no experience in these kind of injuries but I wanted to send good, healing thoughts to HK.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Yes good luck to HK. Hope that she is back to her old self real soon.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast