Bunny Problem

Thread: Bunny Problem

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultBunny Problem

This morning the dogs discovered a bunny nest in their yard. Before I could see what they were doing, Judy was pulling them out of the nest. Mitzi and Bruno obeyed my extreme "LEAVE IT" but not Judy. She continued to pull them out until I leashed her. They were not new born because they had hair and were about the size of a chipmunk. The nest was covered with hare hair to keep them warm, but no sign of the mother. I tried to put a small fence around, but Judy got through. Finally put a heavy cinder block over it, but I doubt that the mother can get in now. I'm afraid to let Judy at them because she may eat them.
    Rabbits must have the lowest IQ of all mammals to build a nest in a 4 dog yard. Good thing they are so prolific.
    Will the mother come for them or are they doomed? Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Do you have a small table you can put over the nest to were the mom bunny can get back in but the dogs can't? Also it may be a pain but can you leash your dogs till the babies are gone? By the sounds of it they should be gone in a week or two. Wild rabbits only stay in the nest 4-5 weeks.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

marmstr is offline Senior Member

Penny got into bunny's nests one spring. Our first clue was the dead bunny in the laundry room...it didn't have a mark on it, just dead...then we caught her with another one in the yard (she dropped it but too late). I did a little reading about bunnies and found that they will 'die of fright'...dang what sort of animal is that! (oh wait, same animal that nests in a yard with dogs!) The mother rabbits only visit the nest a couple of times a day...the rest of the day they're out and about looking for their next mate (apparently they are in heat pretty much all the time unless they are pregnant).

A few days later we caught her digging into ANOTHER nest in another part of the yard. Not sure if momma bunny moved the first nest or if there was another family...

Good luck keeping the dogs out of the nest...
    Melissa

Artemis (goddess of the hunt--for anything on the floor!) Feb 2011
    Penny--rescue, died Dec 2010 of Lymphoma at age 7
    Belle--April 1992-Sept 2005

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Good idea, Deidra!

Seamus and Flynn

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by marmstr View Post
    Penny got into bunny's nests one spring. Our first clue was the dead bunny in the laundry room...it didn't have a mark on it, just dead...then we caught her with another one in the yard (she dropped it but too late). I did a little reading about bunnies and found that they will 'die of fright'...dang what sort of animal is that! (oh wait, same animal that nests in a yard with dogs!) The mother rabbits only visit the nest a couple of times a day...the rest of the day they're out and about looking for their next mate (apparently they are in heat pretty much all the time unless they are pregnant).

A few days later we caught her digging into ANOTHER nest in another part of the yard. Not sure if momma bunny moved the first nest or if there was another family...

Good luck keeping the dogs out of the nest...
    Yeah Bunnies are not the most hardy animals when it comes to dogs. Our dogs have scared a couple to death. poor little things. We always do a backyard sweep in the spring and summer before letting the girls out, just in case they might be in our yard. The Table thing is a good idea, we used a big bucket (I got it at the bakery so it was non toxic) and put it over the nest with a hole cut in the side for ventilation and a cement brick on top when the girls were out. Otherwise, I left it open. They all survived last year.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

The problem is, if I put anything over it with an opening big enough for the mom to access, it's big enough for Judy to put her head in and pull them out. All I can think to do is go out before the dogs and cover it, then go back out after they come in and open it. She pulled two more out this morning. One hopped back in, the other looked dead, wet with dog spit all over. I put it back in and noticed it moved once it was back. I can understand how scared they must be; it would be like a person in the mouth of a tyrannosaurus rex.