Just a Question....

Thread: Just a Question....

QuestionJust a Question....

Is it possible for a dog to get sores on his lower belly (around his manhood as well) from sitting in their own spit? We thought it was a food allergy at first and well it cleared up and then it came back. went to the vet and they gave antibiotics and went away then came back. so then we thought it was the cheese, so we quit giving that to him, well he still has them. So my next thought it the spit. He is in a crate most of the day while we are at work and he is quite the vocal one. just wondering if possible?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

I don't have an answer to your question, but I saw that no one had replied yet. Maybe our experience will spark an idea for you.

Our dog gets spots on her tummy area (mostly the lightly haired area). They come and go. She has been on antibiotics, steroids, etc. While on meds her skin clears up, then when off it flares again. I know hers is not spit related as she doesn't drool. I think hers is possible food allergy and sometimes flea allergy. If she doesn't get flea meds right on schedule the spots flare. Lately using coconut oil, flea meds on schedule and TOTW Pacific Stream food seems to be the best combo for minimizing her flare ups. Food with beef in them causes big time feet itching. It seems to be trial and error with her.

patm is offline Senior Member

I don't know what might be wrong either, but somehow I don't think that it is from sitting in his own drool.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Has your vet cultured the spots? Have you tried any sort of topical treatment? What do you feed him? Does the crate have a blanket in it - maybe he is allergic to the detergent you use or a fabric softener? Is the surface of the crate pan clean? Maybe something on that is irritating him. Does he lay in the grass when outside?

Could be all kinds of things.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Did you actually rule out a food allergy? It sounds exactly like what Hershey Kisses had. We thought it was an allergy to grasses of some kind. But on recommendations from this board, we switched her to a corn and wheat free food, Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice. Those sores or rash or whatever were gone is about a week and have never come back.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey is now 2 1/2 and we have been battling what our vet diagnosed it as "puppy acne." They look like little blackheads on her belly where there is no fur, that sometimes break open with pus and get all red and itchy. Her belly skin would go from pink to dark red.

We tried a bunch of different medications, both topical and oral, but nothing really cleared it up. Abbey has been on grain-free food for a long time now, over a year, and it has all gone away.

hmm well we changed his food from science diet to a duck and potato blend that is corn free i know of not sure about gluten, he was doing great on it and for about 5 months or so he was fine ok. here lately he has been in a crate without a tray bc well he ate it basically. so he is getting a new crate, but we've cleaned it every week. It really doesn't seem to bother him its just really little red spots. who knows i was just wondering :/