Cappy
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cappy

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultCappy

RIP Sunnyview's Captain Cork
    aka Cappy
    1-8-1999 / 4-2-2012

Cappy crossed the bridge today at 13 years, 2 months and 3 weeks of age. He spent all but the first 7 weeks of that time as my constant companion, best bud, and hunting partner. Carol called him my "yellow shadow" and he was the very personification of what a "Yellar Dawg" is supposed to be; loyal, loving, devoted and always anxious to please. He never seemed content unless or until he was at my side.

Cappy didn't have a mean bone in his body. In fact he actually seemed to have a sense of humor and loved to play with children, other dawgs and he even welcomed cats into our home. He generously shared his food, treats and toys with them without a complaint or growl. He has been a wonderful mentor to 7 year old Remi and 2 year old Rusty as they joined our family. Even following an obviously painful surgical ordeal, Cappy was patient and affectionate with his new little bro, Rusty ...

For eleven of his years Cappy was an outstanding waterfowl retriever as everyone who ever hunted with him would tell you. Sadly, he was stricken with both mast cell cancer and laryngeal paralysis in February of 2010, at age 11. The surgeries ended his hunting career. However, he still went out with me virtually every morning for the next two years and watched Remi and Rusty go through their morning training drills.

Following his last surgery I promised Cappy that he would not have to endure any more, and that he could fully retire and stay with us as long as he was physically able, as long as he wasn't in unreasonable pain. He put up a valiant battle over these last twenty six months but his health steadily declined. Finally, with muscles weakened by atrophy, growing difficulty breathing and with failing bodily functions, he told me several times ... "It's ok Dad ... I'm ready now." It was me who wasn't ready.

Carol and I stroked his head and massaged his eyes and ears (he always loved that) as he took his final breath at the Vet's office. I told him that we loved him very much ... but he already knew that. I'll always be grateful for his devotion, the many great experiences we shared and a wonderful life together. Remi, Rusty, Grammy, Mommy and I will miss you more than words alone can express. Be patient "son", Daddy will join you one day and we'll be together once again in a place where there will be unlimited numbers of ducks to hunt and it's open season there all of the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

A few links below ... this one is from his very first live bird training exposure as a 4 month old pup. Look at that prey drive and hard charge ... a trademark of Cappy's for years to follow:

Next one is of him at age 6 and in his prime, enjoying a short training break:

Early last January, Cappy and his favorite pals on his 13th birthday:

Finally, we took Cappy to our wetlands after our morning hunt on the last day of season, January 29, 2012. It was one of his favorite places. I planted a duck shot earlier in the morning and allowed him to make what we knew would be his final water retrieve. If you look closely ... you can almost see that he's smiling through the feathers. Yellow dawgs have a way of doing that.

hayshakerlabs is offline Senior Member

OMG...I am bawling so hard I can not see the screen. I have read so many of your awesome posts about your amazing boy and felt like I knew him. Please know I share your pain, smile as your review your memories, and pray your pain will ease as time goes on. Cappy was a lucky boy to have you and you him. Godspeed Cappy. Keep the Faith!
    http://www.hayshakerlabs.com/

Sherry, Saedee, Shyloh, Izzy, Thelma, Natalie, Evon,, Gussa & Parody

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We took this one last night just as the sun was going down ...

And as hard as it was for him to breathe because of the laryngeal paralysis, he still wanted to go out with Remi and Rusty every morning as they ran through their drills. This morning I threw a couple frisbees for old Cappy boy ... After the first two he asked for two more. He was panting hard but he knew what he wanted and how could I turn him down today, of all days.

And just like the competitve dawg that he always was ... he just had to pick up a "twofer" ... two at a time.

Carol's taking this harder than I am. Probably because as she leaned down and kissed his face goodbye he tried to raise his head slightly and he managed a small wet kiss goodbye right on Carol's lips. The guilt and 2nd thoughts will soon ease ... but danged if it's not painful in the meantime.
    Last edited by Cappy_TX; 04-02-2012 at 06:23 PM.

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Tears here . . . Godspeed Cappy.

Handysmurf is offline Senior Member

Thank You

Even though I`m gone, I`ll never forget the way you looked when we first met.
    Your hand reached out and stroked my hair, our eyes glistened, fixed in a stare.
    I knew from this moment how life would be, you were my companion and yours was me.
    These memories are always in my head; long walks, the games, my cozy bed,
    Gentle words spoken, never a yell, someone to listen, a secret to tell.
    But, each year of mine was equal to seven.
    I`ll be watching you now, from up here in heaven,
    When rain drops fall, it`s my tears I cry,
    Remembering your love from my bed in the sky.
    Whispering winds carry my promise to you,
    For being my friend I will forever....Thank You.

-Mike-
    Paramus, NJ

Would you like to buy a vowel ?

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

A splendid tribute to one of God's great creatures. You were both blessed to have shared your very full lives together.
    Go find Paddy, Cap...

Seamus and Flynn

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I could always tell from your posts that Cappy was very special and one of a kind. My heart aches for you and Carol right now.
    May your wonderful memories of Cappy comfort you.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

......and I am crying..... run free old boy, run free....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Tears for you all from here. Thank you for sharing Cappy photos and Cappy memories with us.

RIP Sweet Yellow Dawg
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast