Just Labradors banner

NLR... Silly question... bathing a long haired dog...

877 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  blackandyellow 
#1 ·
OK this is a very silly question but I really don´t know how to do it...

Since its easter week and I´ll be off of work I´m planning on giving Vermont (the rough collie pup) his first bath, since he smells like pee.

I have never bathed a long haired dog. Whenever I bathe Misha and Homer (maybe twice a year) I just rub them with a towel and let them fully dry outside on the sun.

Can anybody point me out what to do? I´ve read I have to give him a good brush before getting him wet, but how do you dry a fluff ball afterwards? I´m thinking on buying a hair dryer, but knowing him, he´ll probably freak out with the noise and hate me the rest of the month.

He currently doesn´t have any tangles (I brush him thoroughly every week) but I don´t know if I should rub him with a towel or if he´s going to tangle. Also do I need to use any conditioner or just a regular shampoo (dog shampoo that is)? I don´t trust groomers after having a terrible experience many years ago with my cocker, so taking him to a groomer is out of question

#2 ·
With Scamp (Lhasa) a good brushing before, a good towel drying after, then I let the air do the rest. When he's good and dry (at least a couple of hours) I brush him again. I use an oatmeal shampoo on Scampers. Just thought I'd throw that in. :)

#4 ·
With Mae we make sure the shampoo gets through ehr really good. Then let it sit for a few minutes(groomer recommended this) and then when we rinse we brush her also. Then we towel dry her and brush again. Then she likes the hair dryer so we use that also(on cool). Any more we take her to the groomers since it is easier.

#5 ·
Use the cool setting on any hair dryer, but yes, you can thoroughly dry them with a towel, and if warm, air dry a bit. Make sure you brush or rake him before and after.

Have fun, post before and after pictures!

#6 ·
As others have said. I let Gemma air dry and she came up so fluffy and soft.
My vet says don't use the drier, but if you have to use the coolest setting and dry just enough for the coat to still be slightly damp.

#11 ·
Yep with Bailey we brush, shampoo, rinse well, towel then let him air dry the rest of the way and brush again.

#12 ·
Thanks a lot for all the replies, i'm sorry i haven't replied, i have been without internet at home all week and it was finally fixed. I had to postpone the dog bath because Vermont has a sore throat (I don't even know why because its been warm all week long) so next weekend he will get a bath for sure. Probably I will also bathe Misha and Homer, since they have started shedding, it will help loose out the old fur

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.