Labradors in an apartment

Thread: Labradors in an apartment

talilot is offline Junior Member

DefaultLabradors in an apartment

Hi all. I have one amazing yellow female Lab & 3 small mixed breed dogs. They all get along extremely well. I'm really dying to get another Lab - this is my "chosen" breed by far. Now, we live in an apartment - quite a big one (penthouse). Do you think the dogs will be OK? Does anyone have more than 1 Labrador in an apartment? I would really love to hear from you. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

No direct experience with this, but I would think that as long as you can get them out for regular exercise, they'd probably be OK.

Bella

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's less about the apartment and more about your ability and willingness to properly exercise and tend to all those dogs. Could you leash walk 2 big dogs as well as the little dogs at one time? If not - are you willing to basically double the amount of time you are spending getting them out and exercised?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    It's less about the apartment and more about your ability and willingness to properly exercise and tend to all those dogs. Could you leash walk 2 big dogs as well as the little dogs at one time? If not - are you willing to basically double the amount of time you are spending getting them out and exercised?
    This. Only you know is too much for your space. I would be more concerned with time and money necessary to care for 5 dogs and Leash walking 5 dogs. Remember that a new dog needs one on one attention and training daily. Labs needs plenty of daily physical exercise including off leash play.

I have two big dogs (lab and shepherd mix) and a medium dog (plott hound mix) in my 1 bedroom apt, but only temporarily (two are fosters). I find we have plenty of indoor room for all of us as they like to be near me. But leash walking is tricky. Even at the dog park, 3 dogs is a lot to "watch out for" - making sure I get all of their poops and that everyone is being polity and friendly (all are good natured but you still have to have your eyes on all dogs). But I don't have to cover all the costs for the foster dogs (food is provided as is vet care) - I am not sure I could handle the cost of three big dogs full time.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Brette is offline Senior Member

I live in a condo with a lab and a pug. It works because both breeds are very adaptable and aren't barkers. BUT I walk them an hour a day so they do get quite a bit of exercise. Walking 2 is doable but when i had a foster, i was walking 3 and that was really not easy. Remember that every time they go for a pee, you have to walk them. There's no yard. So you will be leashing all four up at least 3 or 4 times a day and trying to walk them all.

I would also take a look at the bylaws in your city. Where i live, there is a two dog per household maximum. If you go over the max, your dogs could become a target for anyone in the building who feels like complaining about you.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I too don't think it is about the size of the apartment. I live in a house with a huge yard and mine only go out to pee or when I am out they have to go to their houses.I often joke we could live happily in an apartment.

It is the walking. I have 2 and it is a lot harder than 1. I did walk all 3 when Gems was here and it is ok, but not nearly as relaxing as 1. All 3 walked at different speds.
    The smaller dogs may not walk to same distance or speed as the Lab and also depends on the age of the Labs. I have a 5 and 10 so take Tess first to take the edge of her, then come back and pick up Erns who doesn't walk as fast.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/