pros and cons of neuturing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pros and cons of neuturing

cdavies is offline Member

Defaultpros and cons of neuturing

so my husband has finally accepted the fate of my boys testicles. at the same time i could use hearing the pros and cons as honestly i don't want to do this. i have never been a fan of conventional medicine on all levels. my main reason is i can't recall him on a bird or dead animal so to think i could stop him on a female is unrealistic if it ever happened. And the ability to continue to give newton the joy of running off leash with no fears and playing happily with other dogs, a better attention span + hump other dogs less. my concerns are the procedure, if he will grow lazy and gain weight (he is not a high energy dog) and lose what little rambunction he has. he will be 18 months in may and i don't think i can hold out to 24. as i make the decent it would be comforting to hear others experience and also to share with my husband.

spring-fever.jpg field-o-fdreams.jpg marsh-boy.jpg
    Last edited by cdavies; 03-29-2012 at 03:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...euter-not.html

behavior and temperment are not reasons, for or against, neutering - neither should change. A humper is a humper, be he neutered or intact. do not expect ANY of the issues you are having to be fixed by neutering. The testosterone does go down when they netuered but they should NOT get fat if you montor how much they eat and ensure they get exercise daily. They should never go for exuberant puppy to LAZY either.
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-29-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

he only humps other dogs...i had assumed this was hormonal. would love how to stop him. i pull him off, no and my God he just won't stop! thank you, for the feedback by the way.
    Last edited by cdavies; 03-29-2012 at 03:06 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

You should neuter him because you aren't going to breed him. Wait until he's 2. He will only get fat and lazy if you allow him to.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Brette is offline Senior Member

My lab isn't neutered and I have to say, it can make other dogs uneasy. They can become a bit of a target, not only by other uneutered dogs who feel competitve but also neutered ones.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

My advice is to use that search button and look at other threads as this subject has been discussed many times.

Neutering doesn´t solve training problems. A humper is a humper neutered or not. A fighter is a fighter neutered or not. A poor recall on a dog is a training issue not a hormonal issue. A female in heat will call the attention of both neutered and unneutered dogs. About the weight gain... they won´t gain weight if you are disciplined and control the dog´s food intake.

The only thing you ensure by neutering your dog is that he won´t get pregnant any female.

patm is offline Senior Member

I was trying to hold out until Baxter was at least 18 months old, but finally gave in when he was 16 months old. He was just starting to discover he was a boy (humping), and was very hard to control around other dogs - he wasn't at all agressive, just so extrememely interested that I spent more time in obedience class just trying to control him instead of learning something. He has not tried to hump anything since then (granted, this was not an ingrained behavior - YET - but it well could have been), and immedietely settled down alot around other dogs. It didn't change his basic personality, but he is alot more pleasant to interact with, and much easier to train.

thank you....

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would honestly rather leave a dog intact. However, I found the sexual behaviour and distractability a real pain, and life is a smaller sphere for an intact dog (can't access certain boarding facilities, can be targeted at dog parks, more susceptible to roaming so must be contained very very carefully).

For these reasons I neutered Baloo. Honestly, I don't feel it is the right choice for their health, however, so it bothers me sometimes.

I've decided that if ever I have boys in the future (which I'm sure I will) they will be rescues who have already been neutered, then I don't have to feel bad for doing it, the decision was out of my hands, lol.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Bean will also be de-beaned in a few months. I would rather not do it, but I feel he will have more freedom, as others have said. I had no such ambivalence with my female dog or cat, LOL. I certainly didn't want any litters! It wasn't even a decision, it was a foregone conclusion.
    Maybe because the males' surgery has a visible effect and we humans have so much dialogue about men's parts, it just seems more difficult for us to neuter our males. I'm trying to convince myself that I'm anthropomorphizing the Bean. (is that even a real word?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast