begging styles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: begging styles

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Defaultbegging styles

Judy and Bruno are my main beggars, but they all have their own begging methods:
    Judy: ears up in attention place, eyes constantly focused on the food
    Bruno: My obedient boy knows begging is forbidden. Like Judy, he keeps eyes locked on the food until I turn my head in his direction and he looks away as if he's not begging.
    Mitzi: Doesn't beg often but her begging style is most effective. She is a selective beggar...only begs for high value food (bacon, chicken, pepperoni) She glances at the food for a second then locks her eyes to mine with the "poor me" look on her face. Alternates a glance at the food followed by looking at me with that face that can't be denied.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I have one good boy that will stare at the food and then look away when I look at them.

I also have a Labrador that holds his head over my knee drooling and looking me right in the eye ! He knows that he shouldn't but he just can't resist and would prefer to be told off every minute to chance on missing out !

Guess which is which !

deidra is offline Senior Member

Tank will stare at me and as he si laying down sighs really loud so I can hear him. Then he usually grunts and then I see the drool,lol. Bentley will right at my feet and paw at me. Then he starts to bark. I tell him to shut up and he lays down and sighs like Tank(he picked that one up from Tank)
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java will sit next to me and stare at me.
    Every once in a while she nudges my leg with her nose as if to remind me that she is there. She assumes the reason I haven't shared my food with her is that I forgot she was there....so a little nudge in the leg with her nose reminds me of her presence.

Moka just sits and drools.

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Eddie stares at the food 'willing' it to transport to his mouth. If it is a treat he will sit pretty, on his butt and his paws up in the air. He learned it by watching and gets something every time. He uses it to good effect.

Fanny would stare and if that wasn't working she would give her paw and drag it down my leg until successful...........

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Emma does not beg, she is a good girl but honestly not very food driven. Maxx and my previous lab, Ozzy, it is all about the drool factor. Ozzy was never fed from the table or anyones plate but he knew what you had was something he wanted. Maxx has not been fed from the table or a plate but he also knows. I just broke him of laying his head on your leg and he will now sit quitely, watching and drooling.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

One will stare at the food and ears up then I look at her and her ears go down but still stares at the food then at me, then the food, then back at me.
    The other one will stare at the food then will rare up like a stallion then back down and bark..repeat...

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

If I’m standing, he’ll sit back on his legs and put both front paws on my legs or belly – my mom thought him to say “please” that way…

If I’m sitting, he’ll stare at me, with the occasional nudge with his nose and also wiggling his head under my arm to see what’s on the table. Thankfully he doesn’t do that often - mostly with my parents who let him get away with it. He knows at home with me that won’t fly.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Ralphie puts his front paws on you, gets down, spins around, sneezes, repeats. Which bugs me to no end. Millie stares at you, never taking her eyes off you. If she senses you're about to give her something she alternates picking up her front feet, but she never picks her butt up. Like she's so excited she's marching in place with her front feet. Cinder stares and drools. If she thinks you don't notice her she scootches a little closer and continues staring. Sometimes she'll scootch until she's touching you. Lol. Every once in a while Cinder will whimper which gets her sent to her bed.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Lexi is absolutely a beggar when it comes to food. She has a couple things she'll do & will ramp up the intensity, if the food in question is high value (bacon, chicken, some other variety of meat).

She'll sit & stare intently at you, sometimes licking her chops.

If that does not work, she start to drool or perhaps put her paw on your leg.

The paw on the leg could progress to resting her head on your leg.

Last straw is usually sitting up: balanced carefully on the rear legs with her tail for balance (her Aunt Chrissy class that her tripod) and both front feet in the air.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast