Chocolate and Brindle Labs
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chocolate and Brindle Labs

lallierlabs is offline Junior Member

DefaultChocolate and Brindle Labs

Hi everyone,

I have a question, I cannot find much about it but I have 2 Chocolate and Brindle Puppies. Does anyone know anything about this recessive gene. I was not expecting this at all in this litter but it was the first time we bred the Sire and Dam together. (I will not be breeding them together again due to this) I am trying to attach two photos of them. I have contacted the AKC by email and they responded "The dog would be registered as Chocolate" no markings etc, I know they are there to just prove lineage we will say but shouldn't there be a code for brindle just like there is for white on the chest? I love labs because of who they are not the colors they produce but in keeping with Breed Standard my two pups are being sold Limited. Just curious as to why the AKC would not want to know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Deidra - thank you. I have looked at some photos but they looked nothing like a Lab, the ones on the link you provided are definitely labbish I am surprised to see the "Mosiac" it just amazes me what genes can do even from many many generations back.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, hate to be the naysayer, but here I go...since you obviously have no idea about the possibility for brindle...I'm going to go ahead and pretty much blast you and your breeding practices. You are a puppymill/back yard breeder. You have no idea what you are doing, and you have not bothered to do any clearances. You also are breeding and promoting "silver" and "charcoal" labs. You do NO genetic testing, you do not compete in any venue to prove your dogs and you are basically doing more harm than good to our breed. All I can say is I'm sad for your dogs. If you have no idea what you're doing (and I don't think you do), then please, stop breeding. You make guesses as to what your dog will produce color-wise, you have no sense of breed standard or how a sire will compliment your bitch. You are a back yard breeder. Straight up.

www.lallierlabs.com
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I don't see brindle on those pups. The site Deidra linked to ensured all teh submissions to mismarks were labradors and is a reliable source of information.

OP - you will find that most chat boards only encourage ethical breeding. I recommend you read abit more about the breed and the appropriate health clearances and work one should do prior to considering breeding their dogs. Labsa are SUPPOSED to have a great temperment, so having a good natured labrador is not a reason to breed it. Especially with the huge problem of pet overpopulation and the number dogs (including pure bred labradors) being put to sleep in shelters every single day.

Furthermore, the breed is prone to many health problems due to over breeding and indiscrimate breeding. Read the health section for all teh people with dogs suffering from displasia, vision issues, allergies, etc, etc, etc. this can be avoided by doing teh appropriate health clearances on the dogs prior to breeding (and not breeding dogs that are likely to produce puppies that have health issues). This means testing hips, eblows, eyes, heart, pra, cmn. It also means proving them in some venue - conformation isn't just abuot pretty dogs but about structure of the dogs, which should be a sign of health. Othewrise compete in hunt or field or other venue. Alls labs should have a good temperment - to be breed they need more than that.

See the labrador club stance on breeding labs (they disctate the standard for the AKC)

Breeding Your Labrador? - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

Also see the club's stance on charcoal and silver - if you you register these dogs as black and chocolate labs you are going against the rules. Again, this club SETS THE STANDARD for labs with the AKC.

Silver - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.
    "There is no genetic basis for the silver gene in Labradors. The silver color is a disqualification under the Standard for the breed. The LRC does not recognize, accept or condone the sale or advertising of any Labrador as a silver Labrador. The Club opposes the practice of registering silver as chocolate."
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dani,

I have heard of the Brindle but not the Mosiac labs before but as I have been reading you will find that most people do not find out that there dogs have this recessive gene unless they do testing for it (true?) and since I am not breeding for it why would I test for it!! A true lab lover and breeder does not breed or judge a dog based on its color. In regards to testing my dogs have all been CERF tested except 1 who is scheduled in Pittsburgh next week and he has not been used for breeding yet. I could tell you what colors I will get from all of my Labs depending on who they are bred too, it is all about the genes and any person who has the smallest brain can figure out that it is not just 1+1 = 2. Everyone starts somewhere, not all dogs have to be Show Worthy, my dogs hunt with my husband, love the kids, sit by our side, protect us and most of all we love them. Why do they need to be field tested? so I can charge more money? The average family wants someone to do all of what I have said except the hunting part. Fact I have CERF testing completed, working towards all testing. I have my pups dew claws removed by a certified Vet at 3 days old, I have multiple mentors in case I ever have a question and I have even helped them with new information. I do xrays to get an aprx puppy count so I know if we have a problem. The puppies are wormed 4 times before going to new homes they are vet checked and always receive their first shots. I recently had 2 puppies who had an allergic reaction to their shots and I was up all night taking care of them because that is what we do. I know there is a lot of controversy regarding the Silver and Charcoals but to be honest their is no proof either way and when you boil it down every dog at some point has been a mix of breeds to produce what humankind wants. Yes I own a silver and she is the calmest, sweetest most loyal dog I have. I will attach a picture of her if I can . I do not start trouble nor do I jump down people throats for their thoughts but not everyone is a back yard breeder and to accuse/judge someone without knowing all of the facts is like saying guilty before proven innocent. Also to point out in my original post I specifically stated "recessive gene" if I did not know anything I definitely would not have know it was a recessive trait. thank you for taking the time to discuss the Brindle genes with me. I in no way tried to hide my name so I am so proud of you for posting my website for people to go to, if they have any questions they are free to ask

DefaultPicture of thunder and rain

Dani is offline Senior Member

Thanks for proving my point. Dew claw removal is a thing of the past. If you are not testing for hips/elbows/CERF/CNM/EIC/PRA/or heart, you SHOULDN'T be breeding. If you don't know anything about the "silver" controversy, YOU SHOULDN'T be breeding. Doesn't matter if your dog is show worthy. It SHOULD adhere to the health test and STANDARD set forth by the Labrador Retriever Club (which supersedes anything that AKC says). How can you put up a guarantee without having tested anything? You produced a yellow dudley pup. Did you know how you got that? I posted your website to steer people CLEAR of a BACK YARD BREEDER like you. Plain and simple. Shame on you.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Tanya is offline Senior Member

so you clear the eyes (which by the way is done yearly). what about hips, elbows, heart, EIC and CMN? These are all major issues in the breed, doign ONE test doesn't even begin to scratch teh surface.

Yes everyone starts somewhere but that doesn't mean you can do little to nothing for years until you learn. one can spend some years learning before getting into breeding in order to get as much of it right as possible.

The AKC doesn't alow the registration of charcoals and silvers.

Labs are not supposed to be protective either.

And most breeders no longer remove the dew claws, that's a thing of the past. Even for hunters and field competitors.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya,

The brindle color is very light on their legs and a small amount on the side of their face. I did not come to start discussions about the silver or charcoals I came as a person/breeder who wants information regarding the brindle gene. I have been speaking with my mentor on how to go about finding the best homes for them because I will not List them as Rare or unusual. They are just normal labs who have a mis mark. Again thank you for your time and information

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast