Toys/crate bedding?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toys/crate bedding?

Nopups4meyet is offline Senior Member

DefaultToys/crate bedding?

Is KONG a recommended toy for even a pup? Are the booda bones (those rope things) good? Just wondering what sort of toys are good for keeping a puppy distracted and less tempted to destroy furniture and whatnot. I've read the "new owner" thread...but there is so much crammed in that thread it's hard to read.

Oh, I did read up the KONG toys...you stuff them with treats? What sorts of things do you put in there? (I can tell you anything you want to know about a kitten, but puppies are unfmailiar territory.)

Oh, and I'm thinking that old towels are appropriate crate bedding - yes?

***Sorry - I posted this in the wrong place - meant to put it in the puppy section! :-(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Until you know how much of a chewer the puppy is you should avoid putting anything in the crate. The puppy might chew and ingest bedding/blanket/towel and wind up with a blockage. Some puppies are fine with bedding from the get go - others never can be trusted.

Kongs are good. You can stuff the Kong with kibble, veggies, peanut butter and freeze them so that the puppy has a longer period of "entertainment". The hard nylabones are good too. Not the "greenies". Avoid pigs ears, rawhides and similar animal products. They can be choke hazards and have no nutritional value.

I am not a fan of the rope toys - they always made my dogs gums bleed.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bett is offline Senior Member

my dogs have eaten the rope toys as well and um, um, it has cause some issues with pooping.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nopups4meyet is offline Senior Member

Thanks. The pups all had sheets in their bedding area, at the breeders, and had no chewing issues. I just hate to put her in the crate without any sort of bedding at all...but if that is recommended, then I will. Just seems like it would be not very comfortable.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nopups4meyet View Post
    Thanks. The pups all had sheets in their bedding area, at the breeders, and had no chewing issues. I just hate to put her in the crate without any sort of bedding at all...but if that is recommended, then I will. Just seems like it would be not very comfortable.
    What a baby (under 8 weeks) does at a breeders should not be confused with what an older puppy will do alone in their crate when they are looking for something to do and teething.

Don't anthropomorphize. My dogs like to lay on my hard cold ceramic tile floors and one of them LOVES to lay in snow. Neither of those seem comfortable to me, but they really like those cold hard surfaces.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with the above. I am very cautious about leaving anything in the crate other than the black kong. Rope toys are be ingested and cause issues coming out (even blockage) so should only be given under supervision. Most toys should be given under supervision really. And toys the puppy is ok with (not chewing thru) for the first few weeks can be destroyed in seconds as they age and decide to chew (or start teething) so keep that in mind.

Again, I like the kong. The black one is awesome. you can put their kibble in there or some peanut butter. keeps them busy.

Start with the blanket but keep an eye on it - if they chew too much remove it. sometimes a towel can work too.

You can have more toys kicking around the house for when you are around. But I would be very very very careful about what you put in their crate when you are not supervising. I would not buy out the stores until you know what the dog likes though. Buy sturdier toys (a lot of toys are cheap and more for small dogs or non-chewers). Even for a puppy.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Hershey123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nopups4meyet View Post
    Is KONG a recommended toy for even a pup? Are the booda bones (those rope things) good? Just wondering what sort of toys are good for keeping a puppy distracted and less tempted to destroy furniture and whatnot. I've read the "new owner" thread...but there is so much crammed in that thread it's hard to read.

Oh, I did read up the KONG toys...you stuff them with treats? What sorts of things do you put in there? (I can tell you anything you want to know about a kitten, but puppies are unfmailiar territory.)

Oh, and I'm thinking that old towels are appropriate crate bedding - yes?

***Sorry - I posted this in the wrong place - meant to put it in the puppy section! :-(
    No towels or sheets in a crate, especially for a breed known for chewing.

Towels and sheets can be torn into very dangerous strips. Use a fleece crate pad or the Kuranda crate beds. I would go with the fleece pads for a young puppy. There are some good ballistic nylon crate pads that attach to the crate as well. No matter what you get the puppy will probably destroy it.

As for toys, only large Nylabones, the Galileo is the best.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh and I always get a size bigger in toys, especially chewing things like nylabones. Get bigger than necessary to be safe.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Me&Deke&Lucy is offline Junior Member

I have never had the bleeding problem but i wouldnt use a tug toy until the puppy is about 2 months old just so you do not pull out any teeth! I HAVE had that experience lol
    You should put any type of bedding you want inside the crate as long as you're monitoring the puppy, if nothing seems to happen for a while (30 minutes) then at night time you can try it but make sure to closley observe the situation if he/she does destroy the bedding so that your puppy doesnt have anything harmful inside.

Me&Deke&Lucy is offline Junior Member

DONT use kong for a young puppy, in fact, I raise puppies often and dont need it at ALL, it is a worry and the saying is that if your unsure then dont do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast