NLR... Annoying Behavior

Thread: NLR... Annoying Behavior

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR... Annoying Behavior

Rembember this little cute thing that we rescued from the woods months ago?

Well, she´s turned into quite a monster... She´s a bit larger than the average Lab, and although she´s very friendly with us, she has developed a very annoying behavior towards strangers.

My friend brings her with us every weekend for our mountain biking trips, but she´s charging runners. She waits until they pass us and then she will charge them from behind and bark at them aggressively. Unfortunately my friend is not experienced with dogs and he just has NO control over her.

Yesterday she nipped a runners jacket and broke it. Of course the runner was very angry and we felt very bad.

Its very difficult to ride the bike with the dog on a leash, so we really don´t know how to correct her (well I honestly know, but since she´s not mine... sometimes dogs need a bit of a tough hand, especially with these behaviors).

We had to cut our trip and turn back because she just wouldn´t leave runners alone.

Any advice on how to fix this behavior? I told my friend he needs to do something ASAP because she is going to attack someone and we are all going to get into big trouble.

None of my dogs has ever been aggressive (they actually "suffer" from the opposite, they are way TOO friendly) so I really don´t know how to tackle this.

Its either he starts educating her, or we will ban her from the mountain biking group, which is sad because she is an otherwise good playful pup. She´s around 9 months old.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

doesn't sound like she's ready to be off lead, for starters.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's not an appropriate venue for this dog, IMO and after the first time she exhibited this behavior she should have been removed from this activity. Many dogs prey drive is excited by people/animals running away from them. Its not uncommon at all. She should be on leash at all times. And if she is still growing she should not be getting forced exercise (leashed to the bike). Leave her home. And get a trainer involved.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That´s what I told my friend, he NEEDS to find a trainer ASAP. I´m concerned she´s going to end up biting someone. At this point its not possible to ride with the dogs on leashes, both for the dog and the biker´s safety. We usually have them off leash and they go at their own pace. But this little demon is really acting out. None of the other dogs has ever done anything to people or other dogs, so I really don´t understand where she got this behavior.

I really hope my stubborn friend leaves her at home from now on. The question was really what kind of techniques work for training these prey behaviors, since I know that probably a leash jerk plus a NO probably could entice her even more...

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

All I can see is BEAGLE in that picture. She's larger than a lab?!? I wouldn't think so judging by your picture.
    If she is beagle she needs some mighty training in a hurry and she should never never never ever be let off lead unless she is in a contained area or running trials. Never. Ever. Off. Lead. Unless your friend doesn't care to keep her around much longer.

Seamus and Flynn

I don´t think she has any Beagle blood, in that pic she looks a litle bit like one but now that she´s grown she´s just a "naturally" selected mutt. We actually found her in the woods all alone. She was most probably born feral (there are a lot of feral dogs in the area where we found her) and lost her mom and siblings.

She doesn´t wander off when off leash, she´s actually quite good. its this prey drive that she´s recently developing what is driving us crazy and what I told my friend he really needs to address or else stop bringing her mountain biking. I don´t mind playful crazy dogs, but when they mess with people then I really do mind.