Rush is making me wonder,

Thread: Rush is making me wonder,

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRush is making me wonder,

Ok, last week I mentioned that Rush doesn't want to eat in the morning. Some days she will eat if I hand feed her (this isn't gonna start) other days she turns her nose up and walks away. Now at night, a totally different story, she is more than ready to eat supper even on the days where I held the bowl in front of her nose and coaxed her to eat. I was thinking of adding something flavorful to her food in the morning, like a little broth. But why start it? She either eats or she doesn't. I am taking her back to the vet for blood work just to make sure everything is normal, but they ran a blood panel on her when she had her surgery and all was good then. I just want to make sure. So, do you think I'm right, offer her the food, if she refuses put it away and she can wait until dinner? Poor baby will be starving to death. This is a dog who is so food motivated that she will eat anything. Just why not in the morning I don't know. Your thoughts? Keep in mind she is 9 yo now and never has been a picky eater. Never. Food of any kind was her BFF. This really puzzles me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

It never hurts to get her checked out. Hope all is well.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I hate it when they worry you like that ! It could be nothing but you never know !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

If she were a younger dog, I'd be like okay, you don't want to eat, don't eat. But I'm such a softy and worrier when they get older, that I'd probably be offering her stuff I shouldn't just so she would eat. Or I would be offering her the food all day long just to make myself feel better that she's not starving.

Libby's a piggy dog, so we don't have that problem yet. She'll eat anything and everything she can get.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'm sure you posted this already, but when did she go from ravenous to picky? Weeks, months..??
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

labby is offline Senior Member

I wonder if she's nauseous in the mornings. Kelly did that sometimes when she was old. I think Boomer did too. I will give the oldsters breaks that the youngsters don't get. With an oldster they generally don't have a lot of reserves in their bodies so if they don't wanna eat when everyone else does, I will generally try again in a few hours once I'm up for good.

I think it's a great idea that you are getting a complete blood panel. That should always be a first step anytime a dog is showing a new behavior like this.

Laura