Before you reach for that flea/tick preventative......
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Before you reach for that flea/tick preventative......

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultBefore you reach for that flea/tick preventative......

GreenPaws Flea and Tick Products Directory | Smarter Living

All Pets Content | Smarter Living

My friend has used Frontline forever. She lives in Missouri which has horrible ticks. She's never had an issue with Frontline and followed directions to the letter.

Last spring her dog started having seizures. This dog does not have any type of epilepsy in his pedigree, but that doesn't mean there wasn't issues there somewhere. She did a full blood panel and it came back normal. She wasn't convinced it was epilepsy, but agreed to put the dog on phenobarbitol per the vet's suggestion. The dog continued to have seizures.

She was looking through her medical notes and noticed a pattern. The dog had his first seizure within 4-5 days of having Frontline applied. The other seizures were also within 4-5 days of subsequent applications. EACH AND EVERY TIME! She talked it over with her vet and they decided to keep him on the phenobarb for an additional six weeks until the vet felt the Frontline would be out of the dog's system.

They slowly weaned the dog off the phenobarb and my friend waited with her heart in her throat. The last seizure the dog had, almost killed him. No seizure. Another week, no seizure. A month, no seizure. It's been six months and no sign of a seizure of any kind.

During the six weeks that she waited for the Frontline to leave her dog's system, she did some research and came up with site after site of issues with Frontline, including seizures and death. Merial is well aware of the issues. There is a class-action suit against them and my friend is now in on it also.

So please think and research before you reach for that topical flea/tick preventative. The chemicals in it are carcinogenic and not safe for human adults or children. Why would they be safe for our pets? The chemicals are absorbed through the skin and into the dog's system.

Why are we seeing an increase in cancers in dogs, specifically hemangiosarcoma (spleen cancer). The rate hemangiosarcoma that I'm seeing and hearing about in our pets has me questioning what we are doing to them to see this increase. Obviously, it's environmental. I suspect the chemicals we are using in and on our pets.

Laura

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Thanks for posting those links. Very useful ( if not scary! ) information. I had used Frontline Plus on my Lab for years until last year she got fleas despite the Frontline. It was a nightmare. I did not want to use more chemicals to get rid of the fleas in the house so I did it naturally but it took a LOT of my time, every day, and it also took a long time to finally get rid of the fleas. So here I am thinking I did the right thing by switching my girl to K9 Advantix II. Haven't had fleas, but looking at the ingredients in this stuff is frightening. Also, according to the link you provided, they say " Avoid Use"!! I HATE putting this stuff on her. I hate putting ANYTHING on her that is not natural and/or chemical free. I dread every month when it's time to squirt that crap on her. But I also don't want her to get fleas or ticks! Just curious Labby, what do you use for your crew?

lablover is offline Senior Member

If anyone knows of any natural TICK repellent I would love to hear about it. Not sure any anyone remembers when I treated Fudge with "natural flea & tick" drops .... and it burned his skin so bad. He lost patches of hair the size of my fist all down his back. Those "natural" drops were peppermint oil, rosemary oil, etc. Besides loosing the hair his skin was red and blistered.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula View Post
    Just curious Labby, what do you use for your crew?
    Normally, I don't use anything. It's been more years than I can remember since I've seen a flea on my dogs, and they're out in fields on a regular basis. I admit to using Frontline in the past on the ones that I've traveled with to places like Wisconsin and Missouri. Now, I don't think I will.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Why are we seeing an increase in cancers in dogs, specifically hemangiosarcoma (spleen cancer). The rate hemangiosarcoma that I'm seeing and hearing about in our pets has me questioning what we are doing to them to see this increase. Obviously, it's environmental. I suspect the chemicals we are using in and on our pets.

And this makes me so sad. In trying to help Forrest live more comfortably, I may have helped kill him instead. *sigh*
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I, like Laura, use nothing.

We are going to TN in June for some field training and I am going to try it without products on them.

I do not treat mine for heartworm either. I test in the spring and fall, and give nothing. The treatment for heartworm is the heartworm medication...so what am I risking?

Once you have a dog with cancer, everything is scrutinized.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Quote Originally Posted by FieldofDreamsMiniHorses View Post
    And this makes me so sad. In trying to help Forrest live more comfortably, I may have helped kill him instead. *sigh*
    I lost Stevie to cancer of the spleen, Lucy. It killed me that I might have harmed her. We do what we have to do with the knowledge that we have. We didn't know. If we had known then maybe things would be different. Please don't beat yourself up over it. You did the best you could for Forrest and he knows that.

Laura

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh man. I Frontlined my crew in February but Flynn's seizures are not anything to do with that.
    I had a couple of ineffective seasons with Frontline+ and just last week ordered Advantix. THEN I learn that Advantix is dangerous for felines and they must be kept away from the dosed dogs for 24 hours.

Haven't applied the Advantix yet... I'll check your Green link first, Laura.

Many thanks for the considerate post!

Seamus and Flynn

NancyO is offline Junior Member

Thank you for posting this. I also lost a dog to cancer and had used Frontline on him, but usually just in the spring and fall. I have never used it on Charlie and won't. I did have to try Advantix and Vectra because the ticks (dog tick) were horrendous last year. Used each one once - didn't do the trick - so I said forget it and haven't used anything since July. I don't give heartworm meds either per my vet, but I do test every 6 months. I truly believed I overdid everything with my dog that had cancer. Hearworm meds, flea/tick preventatives, yearly vaccines. I feel I destroyed his immune system while all while I thought I was helping him.

So thanks again for posting this. I also have Green Paws flea and tick information bookmarked and refer to it often. People should read what it says about the chemicals they are putting on their dog.

I don't know what I'll do if the ticks are as bad as last year. IMO - the natural stuff just doesn't work - at least not for us.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I lost Stevie to cancer of the spleen, Lucy. It killed me that I might have harmed her. We do what we have to do with the knowledge that we have. We didn't know. If we had known then maybe things would be different. Please don't beat yourself up over it. You did the best you could for Forrest and he knows that.

That's what the vet feels was wrong with him, too. Our poor babies....
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast