HK Update
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK Update

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHK Update

Cute Ms Hershey Kisses has a partial torn curciate as best can be determined at this point. She will be taking Carprofen for a couple weeks, no running or jumping, but walks to maintain muscle tone were recommended if limp stays surpressed. Its posiible that surgery could be receommended if things don't go as hoped after a couple weeks, but that does not seem likely for this incident. AND that is the END OF THE GOOD NEWS!

The bad news, as has been stated on the forum. It is highly likely that she will tear it again, and eventually if not repaired a complete tear and surgery willbe the only path. AND THAT IS NOT THE WORST NEWS.

Based on the history at the clininc, 60% of Labs that suffer this injury, go on to tear the cruciate IN THE OTHER LEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is wrong with their heads? Can't they figure it out?

Okay lets end this report with some humor.

This morning I got out the lead to take HK out to do her business. She sees the lead and proceeds to lay down and roll over on her back squirming to avoid me. No big deal, she has done this before to avoid somethng she doesn't like. But as I get down on a knee to put the lead on, she pops up and heads over tot he table where some of her stuff is kept. She returns with her e-collar(shock) in her mouth. That is her normal garment for going outside to run. I put it on her because her recall is great when she has it on, and seldom take the transmitter with me, because I don't need it. I swear this dog was trying to tell me she wanted more freedom outside and preferred the e-collar to the lead. I think this is an indication that it is only going to get worse and the restrictions on running stretch out over the next few weeks.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Oh, Ed! Sounds like as good as could be expected - hope an pray it heals up nicely by itself - as a one time incident.

She's a smart girl - you're gonna have your hands full!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Love that she went to get her "I mean business" collar.
    Sounds like it could be a very long road ahead for both of you.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Well...it's not the worst news.
    But, in all honesty, if it is a partial tear-2 weeks of rest is nowhere near long enough to "heal" it on it's own.
    Ligaments don't heal themselves in adult dogs because their knees do not have a blood supply to them. Scar tissue builds up instead, which stabilizes the knee....but also causes quicker onset of arthritis.

The likelihood of a lab going from a partial tear to a full tear is very high....just a quick turn or a hop onto the couch or up the stairs could be more than enough to finish the job of tearing the ligament.

Sorry...it's not the best news, but it's not the worst news either....at least it is manageable and fixable.

As far as 60% tearing the other knee....some orthos put the number as high as 70% and that is within 18 months of the first tear.
    We were "lucky", Java tore both knees at the same time, so she had them repaired back to back (TPLOs) 10 weeks apart.
    So instead of 2 recoveries we just had one long recovery. One very long recovery with a 13 month old lab.....

Ah, the good old days.....

Good luck!!

labby is offline Senior Member

Like you said, good and bad news. Dogs don't think "oh ouch, I better slow down". They just go, hurt or not. That's why it's up to us to force them to slow down and rehab. I don't envy you. Seamus is a model patient. I'd hate to think if it were Raven that tore her ligament. It would be a totally different story.

You know where I am if you have any questions. Unfortunately, I've had some experience with the whole torn/partially torn CCL in Labs. It's here to stay in our breed, unfortunately.

Laura

Samson is offline Senior Member

Poor HK ! Hoping for the best possible outcome !

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Poor girl!! Good thoughts and prayers that she beats the odds. Sorry Ed, this will probably be harder on you than on her (especially if she keeps up her campaign to re-home you).
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Hope HK heals fast. I totally understand the frustration of both owner and dog... dog wants to run and play like crazy, owner wants to keep the dog calm and just walk... this is pretty much my everyday with Homer and his ED. Fortunately he has figured it out on his own that he can´t run and rough house like he did before.

I absolutely love Labs and think they are the best breed in terms of their personalities and temperament, but I just wish they breed wasn´t so plagued with deseases. A friend´s chocolate lab puppy has been diagnosed with a heart murmur and what seems to be EIC (he´s a field type Lab). For 12 years I lived with Brownie´s HD, 7 years with Muffins HD, Homer has to live with ED and heart murmur... none of these dogs have been BYB they come from supposedly "good" bloodlines...

Its really sad to have such great temperaments on bodies that just don´t work for them... Poor Labradors

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear this, Ed. I hope it heals without any more incidents. Kisses for HK.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am sorry for your bad news and hope for the best. That is one smart girl you have!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast