Advice needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

maus is offline Member

DefaultAdvice needed

I need some advice on living in an apartment with a lab and a flat coated retriever.

Due to a job loss I had to sell my house and will be moving from Indianapolis to Dallas in a few weeks. After doing some research on rentals in Dallas I think the best housing will either be an apartment or a duplex until I find a new job, it will probably be for about 6 months and I know exactly how much I can afford for housing.

Has anyone had experience with living in an apartment with two large dogs? Pros/cons? Please don't suggest I give up the dogs, I need them with me and would pretty much live in my car rather than give them up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

It is totally do-able. The truth is, though I live in a house, the dogs don't go outside without me anyways. My house is small, and they are usually very close to me inside anyways. For me, it wouldn't be much different than living in my house.

I hope things take a turn for you and your dogs, good luck!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

kaytris is offline Senior Member

The biggest issue with dogs in apartments , IME, is noise. If your dogs bark at unseen voices, knocking on doors, footsteps from the floor above, etc, you could have issues with other tenants and your landlord.

http://www.petsandapartments.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix is offline Senior Member

I live in a appartment (flat), and i do that with Laika, and from time to time the labrador of my sister (if they go on a holliday, where dogs arent allowed)

And it is managable

And noise, well .. Youre dogs have to get used to youre new situation, but that comes quick enough for them to blend in

Ohw .. And .. A dog is for life, not just for christmas

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I lived in an apartment with a collie x and did just fine. We walked her several times daily. My neighbors downstairs had a Dobie and a crazy GSD - and they managed it too.

The reality becomes that you are taking the dog for a walk every time that he/she needs to potty - so unless you have a park across the street this means more exercise than they are probably getting if you have a yard now. As we all know - well exercised dogs are better behaved dogs and will probably be quieter (since they'll sleep alot).

If you have not trained them to walk nicely together, you need to work on that now. Walking them individually will be a serious investment of time (x number of potty trips times 2 - yikes!).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We live in a duplex of ~900 sft. with two large (85 and 107 pounds at last weigh-in) Labs. The garages separate the two sides of the duplex, and Champ will bark when he hears the neighbors coming and going. Usually one big WOOF until he figures out who it is. We use a tie-out for them to potty, so they go out one at a time, and we've had no problems with that. We do try to get them to a dog park as often as possible so they can run and really play, do some retrieves.

When they start to play bitey-face in the house, we have to monitor them closely because we have two glass curio cabinets and a grandfather clock that is mostly glass. Those big butts or flailing toys could easily break the glass and cause some harm to the boys.

Other than that, living in a small space with two big dogs only presents a problem in where to put two huge crates and still have enough room for people!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I live in an apt with my lab, and have had many fosters (all bigger, high energy dogs). It is VERY doable, but requires abit more work on the owner's part.

It is more work as every bathroom break mean putting the dogs on leash and taking a short walk. Once they get into the habit though it can be fairly quick (I can be out adn back in a few minutes).

You also need to put in more of an effort to exercise (longer walks, finding a dog park/grassy area for offleash play). It will be highly important you do NOT reduce the amount of exercise they get during the average week.

The biggest worry with certain dogs is barking. Depending on the building and where you are there are more noises from neigbours and sometimes the street. I live downtown on the main floor so we gets street sounds as well as neighbours sounds. But this depends on the dogs.

My buliding is an old house with 5 units, so I have fewer neighbours to worry about. And they all work regular work days so even when a foster barks abit they have been very patient. The smaller the building the better off you may be.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I lived in an apartment/duplex with 2 large dogs (GSD and a rottweiler) for 5 years before we bought our house. It really wasn't much different than having our house. By all means, get a first floor apartment if possible. Potty breaks will be easier, and the running around noise from 2 dogs won't bother neighbors as much. I think your biggest hurdle will be finding a place that will allow you to have 2 large dogs. A private owner (like with a duplex) will be your best bet as they are more flexible than apartment communities. Also, we knew where all the fenced in ball fields were at and went frequently to allow the free running/retrieving. Like someone else said, training the dogs to walk well on leash together will be an enormous benefit to you. Its very doable, but just finding a place might be quite frustrating. Don't give up, someone will work with you.

justine is offline Senior Member

I live in an apartment with Abbey and have had my friend's chocolate Lab live with me for a few months. It works out fine. I'm lucky that the way my apartment is set up that I have a pretty long room where I can throw toys and play fetch indoors, which helps, too.

We aren't allowed to have our dogs off leash, they charge us $50 the first time and we have to get rid of our dogs if it happened a few times. So every time we go out, we have to leash up the dogs and go for a little walk. It's not so much a problem at all anymore- I'm completely used to it.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I say, give it a good long try. In the end though always do what is best for the dogs.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast