Buddy Read the signs

Thread: Buddy Read the signs

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultBuddy Read the signs

How soon we forget. We are dog sitting the 7 year old female golden retriever who nipped me a couple of years ago. She had been doing fine so we agreed to watch her again without problems, until last night. She started growling at Jack and Buddy if they got close to her food bin in the utility room. All the dog food plus the beans Jack retrieves are in the utility room. When Jack went for the beans next to her bin she growled an alto growl. Same with Buddy walking past to scope out the open biscuit box. I told her No but she continued to growl every time I said NO until we lwft the room.

This morning same thing happened plus Buddy was giving her a wide berth after the growling stopped and he was looking at me witha aren't you going to do something? look. I was prepping their food and thought that was what Buddy was trying to tell me. I feed all three dogs at adjacent stations. Buddy was leary of being 12" away from the GR and kept looking at me. I motioned for him to go to his bowl, the GR growled and then turned and snapped at him. I told her no, and she gave me higher pitched and extended growls all the while eating. I decided not to take her to the floor or pull her away from the food. Bad choices. I thought. After she was done eating she was all peace and lovey.

Buddy realized she was unstable and tried to tell me. I should have been more perceptive.

The GR goes to day care, is usually fine around other dogs, though she is an only dog. She initiates play with Buddy after meals, and is fine with Jack, except meal times when she growls.

I expect the same behavior tonight. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If I was in your situation, I'd move her food storage to another room, feed her in another room and crate her as much as possible. No reason to put your dogs or yourself in harms way with a dog you have short term. She is clearly threatened by the other dogs.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I was researching around the blogosphere to learn about fostering Labs. Someone suggested that the guest/foster dog should earn it's place in the home, especially if it's showing dominance. They suggested crating the dog and letting it out as a reward, and keeping it crated when you can't be there to supervise. This dog in particular was causing trouble, so she suggested also keeping the dog on a lead indoors until the behavior improved. What do you think of that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    If I was in your situation, I'd move her food storage to another room, feed her in another room and crate her as much as possible. No reason to put your dogs or yourself in harms way with a dog you have short term. She is clearly threatened by the other dogs.
    I agree. No reason for you and the boys to suffer because she has a bad attitude.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't let her eat in your guys' feeding area. And I'd keep her food someplace else, too.

Seamus and Flynn