HELP please !!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP please !!!

xxkloexx is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP please !!!

hi all, im new to this website and im wondering if anyone could give me a bit advice,
    i have a 2yr old black lab called Alfie, my problem is when i got Alfie he came from a bad place and he was in a bad condition when i got him as a puppy he was starved poor thing.so i got him to the vets and he needed worming and feeding more.so anyway the vet said he will always be underweight and also because hes working class breed. he gets wormed without fail every 3-6month on time. but lately these past 3month he is still loosing weight you can see all of his rib cage and back bone it looks awfull i just carnt seem to fatten him up i keep taking him to the vet but they say the same hes healthy but underweight. can anyone suggest any type of food ect i could use to help fatten him up.Alfie.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Before you worry about what food to give him, I'd be finding another vet & getting a second opinion urgently. No offence but that dog doesn't look healthy to me.

Good luck with him.

thanks for you advice i have an appointment for him next week :-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by xxkloexx View Post
    thanks for you advice i have an appointment for him next week :-)
    With the same vet or another one?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxkloexx View Post
    hi all, im new to this website and im wondering if anyone could give me a bit advice,
    i have a 2yr old black lab called Alfie, my problem is when i got Alfie he came from a bad place and he was in a bad condition when i got him as a puppy he was starved poor thing.so i got him to the vets and he needed worming and feeding more.so anyway the vet said he will always be underweight and also because hes working class breed. he gets wormed without fail every 3-6month on time. but lately these past 3month he is still loosing weight you can see all of his rib cage and back bone it looks awfull i just carnt seem to fatten him up i keep taking him to the vet but they say the same hes healthy but underweight. can anyone suggest any type of food ect i could use to help fatten him up.Alfie.jpg
    That dog is quite underweight. How much food is he getting? You could try adding in satin balls - search the site and you will find a recipe. And I agree a second opinion is in order. Additionally, there is no reason to worm a dog constantly like that. Mine were wormed as puppies and are checked annually and never had worms again.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Dad of Four is offline Member

Seeing how you said he came from a bad situation and was starved. You haven’t explained how he has been feeling (normal happy, tired) how much does he eat? Has he has ever thrown up?
    Get a 2nd opinion and explain what’s been going on with him have full blood work done and maybe ask him to feel the belly area for anything that feels unusual.
    The first thing that comes to my mind is he ate something while trying to survive. Something like what my Zoe had, she had eaten some kind of bird/rodent that had ticks that carried the Hepatozoonosis protozoa. Now this is not a common disease, but there are other diseases/issues related with eating infected birds/rodents too. It also could be a partial blockage from something small (stone, bottle cap etc.) only allowing partial digestion of his food.

Good luck and hope he feels better soon
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/2005
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/2010
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10

At the Bridge
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/2009 - 3/19/2015
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/2009 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

i will use a private vet thanks

bett is offline Senior Member

why does he need worming so often.?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would see a new vet. if he is eating and losing that much weight that means it is a health issue causing the weight loss and you need to get him looked at ASAP.

This is serious and needs to be addressed ASAP.

What are you feeding him and how much?

WHY is he being de-wormed so often? If he has worms he needs to be de-wormed but otherwise it is NOT something you should be doing so regularly. Are you testing to see if he has worms before de-worming?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Definitely ask for some bloodwork, check kidney, liver, etc levels. Something is terribly wrong. What is he eating now?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast